Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I've got a little play in my steering while driving. While sitting still with engine off my steering wheel will move @2.5 in. and the output shaft on the bottom of the box wiggles back and forth just slightly. It doesn't leak (yet) but I'm getting up around 30,000 m. and just wondered if I should try to do anything while under warranty. I didn't notice slop in any other components.

I had a lot of problems with my Dodge in the steering department and sure don't want it on this pickup. Thanks much!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
cant use the engine off test with any validity. The box will have some play in it with out fluid pressure, the fluid pressure will take up the tolerance in the box when running. The spool gear can be adjusted some to compensate for wear.

Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
ME4OSU,
Did you ever get your steering box play problem resolved?
At 36,000 I'm apparently experiencing the same problem as you but to a larger extent.
While driving on long straights on the freeway, I have to keep steering the wheel from dead center to about 3" off center to the right to keep the truck going in a straight line. 80% of the time the steering wheel is the 3'' off center to the right.
I started to notice a loss of ''center feel'' and the gradual increase in play after the dealer installed the bearing kit to get rid of the infamous steering rattle.
Before the truck hit the 36,000 mile mark, I took the truck back to the dealer and they aligned the front wheels and they said that they took care of orientation of the steering wheel.
The truck does drive a little better as it now has a much improved ''center feel'' but the steering play remains.
I love my truck, but this steering problem is the only thing ruinning my Duramax experience!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all for a great site!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts