Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stopped at the Mobil station that I fill at. They were servicing their diesel pumps and had the covers off.

The service man was changing spin on filters! They looked like a normal oil filter. I talked to him and he said they change them on a regular basis because they trap dirt, clog and slow down the pumps.

Now that's great! I know Mobil stations filter their diesel before they pump it

I think I'll look for Mobil stations from now on.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your observation should not be assumed across the board. In other words, this does not mean that ALL Mobil stations are as conscientious. ALL fuel is supposed to be filtered at the pump. Not All are maintained properly, some places may bypass the filter. IF this station sells a lot of diesel and now you know they service their filters, it would be a good choice. I get my fuel at a location called Mobil Quick Fuel Fleet Service. This is an unattended fuel depot in the city for big rigs. There is no "truck stop" nearby, so all the big rigs fuel here. They carry a guarantee on their fuel quality and the place is always busy with rigs filling with hundreds of gallons at a time. I buy there for that reason. There is a mobil station closer to me selling diesel, but I won't go there because I never see anyone using those pumps. Freshness is important. There is also an Amoco(BP) right next to the Mobil where I fuel up. They sell the highly regarded Amoco Premier Diesel. Without testing it I will never know for sure of it's quality, it appears pretty clear in a jar compared to regular #2 diesel, but they don't sell the volume. I rarely see diesels fueling there and I pass it every time I get fuel, so I must say I have chosen I high volume depot over a low volume, supposedly higher quality depot. SPICER

·
Registered
242 Posts
I buy 90% of my fuel from ONE Mobil station and I still can't go more than 7K miles without losing performance. Must be a station-by-station basic.

Which leads me to a question - is there anyway to filter the fuel as you pump it - some kind of filter that you put on the end of the nozzle - sounds messy but I already have DFA in a baggie, hauling around a filter/funnel as well can't be any worse.

Probably a bad idea - liability - but it sure would be nice. I have actually considered getting a second in-bed tank just so I can filter everything out in advance. I know there are probably better and cheaper ways.....

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Oh man I just had a good idea.

Idea 1...
Make a tank that has 2 compartments. One is 6 gallon and one is 40 gallon. The 6 gallon has a service port for a filter cartridge. The 6 gallon is the pre tank for incomming fuel. It then pumps it over to the 40 gallon pre filtered to 5 mics.

Idea 2....
Make a 5 mic filter hose from the gas cap to the main tank with a prime pump and micro switch. You put the fuel nozzle into the orfice at the side of the truck. It hits the micro switch and runs the prime pump. The pump filters the fuel and dumps it into the main tank. The whole unit can be serviced easily.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I vote for idea 2. Easier then changing out the entire tank. Come on mfgr's, somebody build this!

·
Registered
410 Posts
as far as i'm concerned, theres not a good reason for these stations to be pumping crap in out tanks. these guys make good bucks in the fuel biz. if they werenot there wouldnt be service stations popping up allover. maybe we need certified clean fuel standards..these machines we are runnin aint cheap to fix.

last week i had to replace a fuel filter on my little sonoma..the freakin filter listed for 98 bucks and still cost me 50..what a bunch of CRAP literally !!
ibby , bob

·
Registered
433 Posts
Only $98? The fuel filter for my wifes dodge caravan is $179. I normally change out fuel filters on gas motors at 50,000 miles. But when I went down to get the filter they told me $179, I walked out saying it will have to wait till 150,000 miles
. It now has 123,000 miles and still running strong. I keep up on all other maintenance regularly and it still gets its normal 23 mpg as it did from the day we bought it. Maybe I should look into it again, the price might have dropped since 2 years ago. My luck it probably went up.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts