Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Chev Silverado with a diesel eng. I have an Audiovox 10 disc CD changer and a Sirius Satellite radio. I recently had a Peripheral GMASX interface installed to use the factory radio to control the changer. The installer also used the interface to connect the satellite radio outputs to the factory radio. Everything works great except that now I have a very light static but very noticeable in ONLY the satellite radio. No static on anything else. It is definitely coming from the alternator because it varies with RPM change. The installer installed a filter but didn't help. He installed at the sat rec and at the back of the factory radio with no change. He and I both are stumped ont this. The sat had no static when it went thru the FM modulator.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
I would think altering where the power is tapped or try a better or heavier ground wire.

I have no stereo experience but bad grounds will raise hell with electrical systems.

Post some install pics, I just got a XM Delphi Rhody and need some install suggestions, right now I am using the cassette adapter but want a more professional install.

T
NY

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony

My Sirius receiver is under the drivers seat at the back edge. It is a small unit. The CD changer is on the outside of the rear underseat storage box. I don't have anyone riding in the back seat of the ext cab so the changer doesn't get in anyones way. It would not bother a small person there anyway. I wanted it accessible without having to lift the rear seat to get to it. It is all installed to an interface unit that is behind the factory radio and wired into the factory relay. The installer installed a $5.00 relay in the circuit that allows the satellite radio to be turned on. With the cd aux button on for the changer to operate I turn on the satellite radio and it pauses the cd changer and the satellite radio plays. The interface unit allows the satellite radio and cd changer to play thru the factory radio and to control the cd changer with the factory radio buttons. The satellite receiver, except volume, is controlled by the controller that comes with the radio.

I will know tomorrow if the static problem is going to be fixed. A powered coil filter has to be installed in the audio circuit. The capacitor filter didn't do the trick.

I will let you know what happens and try to get a pict of the underseat location.

Tom

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony

Got the noise out with a power coil filter in the power wires. This was recommended by the manufacturer of the Peripheral interface unit. They have seen this situation occur previously. We still had to have the noise filter to get it all out. Works great now.

I appreciate your input. Have a blessed new year.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts