Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
New here and looking for some advise. My 2006 2500HD D/A was running fine this past weekend. I parked it in my driveway on Saturday. I moved it to my side driveway on Sunday, took about 5 minutes of running. Shut it off and came back a few minutes later to restart it. It would start very easy, and run for about 2 seconds then die. I could restart it again and it would die again after a couple of seconds. I noticed that the fuel gauge read empty and the empty light was on. I tried to add a few gallons of fuel and after about 4 gallons the filler neck was filled to overflow. I thought that I had a full tank, but thought someone may have stolen my diesel after a fillup so that is why I tried to add more. I have driven the truck about 3 miles since filling. I am certain that I filled with diesel because the hose was leaking a little and I had to report it to the dealer. I also had about a quarter of a tank at fillup so that I was no where near running out. I still have about 20% life available on the fuel Filter.
I also called the fuel station to see if anyone had reported fuel problems. They had not and station said there was no shortage of diesel in their tanks.
Now I dont know if the light is supposed to be on and the gauge showing empty until the truck starts, or if it should have shown a full tank when ignition is in the run position.

Can anyone offer some advise ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did you try re priming the system by cracking the bleed screw on top of the filter and using the hand pump? Sounds like the system has air in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try pumping the primer pump, but did not use the bleeder screw. Since it was under warranty and I know almost nothing about deisel, I was afraid to try much.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I would change the fuel filter, bleed the fuel system of air and try again.You may have picked up some bad fuel which plugged your filter. As far as the gauge and light go it sounds like you have a problem with the sending unit. My light always comes on at start up the needle automatically starts to move. The two conditions may be coincidental.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if the fuel gauge could be an indication of the problem. If it was not getting power to the sending unit could it be that I am also not getting power to the pump. I assume that the pump is internal to the tank. Like I said, the gauge sets on empty and the empty light stays on. But I don't know if that is correct since the engine does not run. Could it be that the fuel gauge only moves after the engine is running ?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I wonder how these trucks act if the crank position sensor comes loose?

Read on another thread where the truck would not start,turned out to be cps,dealer said a couple bolts backed out and fell into the pan.

If these come loose then it would seem the signal would be erratic for awhile until they fell all the way out

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
First- these trucks do not have a fuel pump- the CP3 pulls fuel from the tank and then pressurized by the CP3 pump to the injectors. A leak in the filter area will let the fuel in the lines return back to the tank. So cracked housing or loose filter will cause a problem. The CP3 pump will draw air instead of fuel.

Fuel light on and empty reading on the gauge when full--- This happens on many trucks, including mine when really full-- after a couple so many miles it starts reading normal. I believe that when the tank really full the float moves the sensor contact from the resister side of the tank unit to an area where there is no resister contact and grounds the circuit, which causes it to read empty. Mine does this (but every time) and I have to drive several hundred miles for it to read correctly (64 gallon Aero tank). I suggest that you do not fill up to the neck and it probably will not do this again.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now have an answer. Dealership called. Turns out it is a wiring problem. Looks to them like a squirrel decided to have a little chewing party under the hood.

Any one have a good squirrel recipe ??

Anyone want to join me in an all you can eat.... let me know. Cost will be low, but I do need to cover the $350.00 to fix the wiring.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Any one have a good squirrel recipe ?? == 12guage shot gun w/#00 shot - nuthin but fur cloud left when dun right !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
:D Takes an awefull big sqirrel to fill my gut. You might be able to make some soup for all of us but it takes more than one for a stew. Just remember to shoot it after it leaves your truck ;).

Reactions: roswell

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts