Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading thru the messages, as much as I love
my new 'first diesel' LLY I read on page 2 where the turbo's are self destructing. I got the loud BANG from mine at less than a 100 miles but no power loss. Now have 4200 miles and still seems to be running OK for what I think a quiet diesel should sound like. It still has more power than I know what to do with. We don't have mountains in Wisconsin, but we do have big hills. Have yet to find one big enough to make the Allison come out of overdrive on cruise. My dealer says as long as there is no power loss, don't worry about the bang unless it happens again. Does anyone have any reassuring words? As a Diesel-Newbie, already can't stand the thought of going back to a gasser.

·
Registered
625 Posts
These engines are bullet proof, drive it hard and long.

Sure some guys have had bad luck, but with MILLIONS of diesels produced by Izuzu the problem engines and incalculable.

Also now that you have had a diesel trust me you can never go back. I don't know what it is about diesels that make people lifers with them.

Enjoy and relax.

If you knew what I was doing with mine this last week, you would know that these things are indestructible.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome to the site, and drive it and enjoy it! I will never go back to gas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ran a general search in the gm main frame and found no bull/or PI relating to the LLY turbo failure. if you would like you can email me your VIN and i could do a specific search.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I read the thread you mentioned and I see ONE only LLY turbo has failed, and a picture of a turbo that failed on an LB7. I think you worry too much.

·
Registered
692 Posts
dont worry i placed the post on the lly turbo and its very rare. tech assist has had more cases of the "bang"
than the turbo. if i remember there are like only 5 cases of the bang as you call it all has lead to nothing.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Let me tell you about turbos my friend. Sometimes, just like other mechanical parts you get a bad one. If you ever get into aftermarket turbos you will understand. Went through lots on my last ctd, she claimed six, record 20 miles on a PIERS supposedly indestructible ksb1. Which I would like to add they didn't warranty. Will never and I MEAN NEVER buy a single thing from them again. Okay, I am done. Oh yeah, enjoy your new ride, you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts