Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="2283695709">My truck has around 10,000 miles on it. No fuel additive. Original Fuel filter, no secondary *yet*. </LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="2283695709">I have noticed that for the last few hundred, maybe a thousand miles or so that the idle is starting to get rough. If I step on the throttle a bit it smoothes out a lot. I can feel the vibration just sitting in the seat. You can even hear various things in the truck vibrate. Such as change etc.</LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="2283695709">I doubt this is normal. I am going to change the fuel filter tonight if I get the chance. Do you think this will solve it? Is it likely that I have some injector troubles? Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance Eric.</LABEL>

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Max, I agree that something is amiss. You are on the right track with the filter, that would be where I would start also. After that I would have the balance rates checked to be sure all injectors are playing togather nicely. Do you have access to a Pred or anything else that iwll display data? T-2 would be best ....

Its under warr, chage the filter and have it checked out

Eric

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll borrow a tech II. I really want one but too many toys to come first.

I have a snap on scanner but only 01 cartridge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are using an oiled air filter try cleaning your MAF. My milage has been low. Cleaned mine and it is smoother at a stop light and on the road at 75. I also have less diesel noise. Mine has always been louder than most and had been getting worse. Don't know yet if it helped the milage. Can't say it has more power but throttle response is better.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I am running a K&N I will try that, thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have there been any updates on this? My '03 with 7000 miles has started idling rough lately. Only at lights, and is a little smoother in neutral. Pushing the gas pedal just a tad smooths things out. Interestingly enough, it started when I started using Total Power, but I also filled at a new station that may not have moved a lot of diesel. The weather has also turned colder...maybe that has something to do with it? Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I haven't got around to changing the filter and checking the sensor yet. Hopefully tomorrow!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same Problem, My '03 with 7,000 miles has started rough idleing at lights. Like you guys said, it shakes the truck. I am using Stanadyne Performance Formula. About 3 weeks ago I added a UNI oiled air filter. The MAF sensor has never been cleaned, didn't think about filter oil getting on it. I thought maybe it was bad fuel, or a dirty original fuel filter. We are getting the wet cold weather too. I'll look at the MAF sensor tomorrow.

DDog

·
Registered
51 Posts
I checked the MAF sensor this morning. No sign of filter oil anywhere but on the filter. No rough idle today. If it happens again, I will change the fuel filter.

DDog

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine has been doing the same...rough idle one day, smooth the next. I just changed fuel filters, and will see if anything changes.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just changed my fuel filter. We will see if it helps. I only have around 10,000 miles. I will try to cut it open too. My MAF sensor looked fine to me. Not a trace of oil anywhere around it. I also cleaned my K&N.

What is the best way to clean the MAF?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Also what size security torx bit to remove the MAF????

·
Registered
448 Posts
A small flat tip screw driver will fit in the security torx and not leave any marks if your careful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My MAF didn't look oily either. When I felt the plastic around the sensor it had a sticky feeling like the oil on the Amsoil filter. I cleaned it by advice I had seen somewhere and used 99% iso alcohol. Just put a little in a plastic bag and swish the MAF around in it for a few seconds.

Still don't know if it helped the milage. We got a dose of winter and have been between 0 and 30 degrees. That of course brought blended fuel, more idling, etc. Have a 1500 mile trip next week so should have a better idea after that.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Now that I see this thread, my truck does the same thing. My console rattles when I'm idling, I don't remember noticing that until about two or so weeks ago.. 9500 miles here with a new fuel filter sitting on the workbench.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I don't think mine is cured but I haven't let it warm up yet so its tough to be sure. I was just looking at our locations and was thinking back to when this started. Mine started about a month ago and I bet all of you saw the same. I think it might be winter fuel causing this. Certainly fits the bill. We all live in northern places where they would have started blending winter fuel over the last month or so.

What do you guys think? Makes sense to me.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fuel is certainly a possibility. Seems like the fuel I get changes quite a bit even in summer. That said mine still runs smoother than it has in monthes, not just at idle but at highway speeds.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine runs a bit smoother I think. It's not as smooth as I remember it though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is OK now too. The mystery is that I did nothing to fix it.

Maybe it was due to the wet weather. I noticed some water in the airbox. It must be time to swiss cheese the air box. Do you think the dealer will believe that the 27 added holes are just drain holes?

Mine was idling rough when engine was warmed up.

DDog

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, I've not experienced this and I'm sure we're into blended fuel here. It's also been very wet the past week or so. Have used Sunoco Gold from day 1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts