Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 silverado 6.2, 700r4. It would not start yesterday. When i turned the key i got a click noise. It did not try to even turn over. Then later it started up fine. Today it would not start again and gave me the same problem with one click. Then i turned the key and all the dash lights flashed and it made a constant clicking noise coming from behind the radio until i turned the key off. I tried about 10 times and it is still doing this. I tested both batteries and they are at full charge and holding. the temperature here is 40 degrees. The battery cables look fine. What is going on?

Thanks Eric

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Check your battery connections and all the ground straps. It sounds like a battery connection or a bad ground...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
carnut114;1597116; said:
I have a 91 silverado 6.2, 700r4. It would not start yesterday. When i turned the key i got a click noise. cables look fine. What is going on?
Next time it happens, turn your headlights on and try it. If it clicks and the headlights stay bright, most likely it's starter/solenoid problem and is not drawing power. If it clicks and your headlights go dim at the same time - you've got a connection problem (assuming your batteries are fine).

If you decide it's a connection problem, make sure you check the big post on the starter solenoid. On some GMs, that's where the entire electrical system taps it's power - and if that nut is loose - it will cause problems. (9/16" or 14 - 15 mm hex).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts