Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 chevy diesel pickup that has been parked for a while

Batteries are dead and shot enough to not take a charge.

I decided to pull it to start it and it would not fire or even pump blue smoke

Has fuel, I primed it at the fuel filter

Question, is there a relay, seconded, or some other device that requires electricity to permit the fuel delivery system to function? I know the electric fuel pump won't work until I get alternator current flowing, but as noted, I have fuel in the filter canister.

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Please tell us a little more about your pickup ( Make, Model, 6.2L or 6.5L Diesel ) and list all mods then I can move your post over to the appropriate spot for better views and responses (y)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Unless it has a mechanical injection pump, it will not fire without electricity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I suspected that after pulling it two miles without getting a puff of blue smoke.

Not like our old farm tractors.

Need to find a couple of decent batteries

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It will for sure have a electric fuel shut of solenoid. Should be two terminals on top of the pump, one is the cold advance and the other the fuel shut off. Those more familiar with the 6.2 pumps will have to tell you which is which. Powering them both should not hurt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, as I said, I need to find a couple of batteries, don't want to buy two new ones for an old truck until I know it still runs good, which it did three years ago.

Still need to pull it to start a the starter failed which is why I parked it three years ago.

Appreciate the response

1 - 6 of 6 Posts