Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while coming to Branson, towing our 37' 5th wheel, after arriving at our RV park and registering, the truck wouldn't start. It is a 2003 2500 HD Duramax with 145,000 miles on it. We had it serviced the end of February, oil change, lube, fuel filter, replaced some transmission cooling hoses that were leaking, etc. The truck ran fine all the way down, about a 4 hr. trip. My husband primed it, still would fire, but wouldn't turn over (we have 2 new batteries). Finally, after priming it several more times, it started and we were able to get to our campsite. After it being shutdown for about an hour, we started it right up and have been driving it all week with no more issues. What could have caused it not to start in the first place. Never has done that before.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
My guess, is air in the fuel system after the fuel filter change.
If the filter head has not been replaced or rebuilt recently, I would consider at least rebuilding the head for good measure.
There are some orings inside that will go bad over time and allow air to enter the fuel system.

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing last year and only when really hot, except it would run just long enough for me to have started moving a little bit then die. Got some weird looks from the neighbors when I would stop home quick and the truck would die as soon as I left the driveway and silently passed their houses until I got to where the street levels out so I could reprime it. Also it would have to crank it for a VERY long time to refill the fuel rails, which is why you likely had a hard time getting it restarted.
Mine was the filter head leaking as OkDually suggested, there are rebuild kits available with all the o-rings and seals. Also videos online of how to rebuild it. They were definitely shot when I got mine apart. You might even see the leak if you try pushing the primer with the bleed screw closed.
I would also order the 2 rubber lines that go out to the filter housing from the engine, mine were all cracked so I replaced them as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts