Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... after 99K miles she is finally starting to show some issue with starting. The truck as started every time this far, but @ 9 Degrees above zero yesterday morning, she struggled. The glow plugs show they are cycling for 10 seconds or so, then it will crank really hard and studder once before starting. The truck used to start -25 no problem. What would draw more power? The reason i feel it is a draw issue is that the gauge cluster doesn't work until the alternator fires and goes to 14V. I have had the re-flash performed per the TSB issues, but that did not cure the issue.

The following services have been performed:
New Fuel Filter
Fresh Oil Change
New Batteries one month ago
Injectors changed at 56K

Any Help is appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try plugging it in at night.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Sounds like the glow plugs have gone south, but not the truck:D . Test each glow plug and I think you'll find several bad. I haven't had to do a Dmax yet, but there has to be a thread on here to help. My Dmax's all started at 5deg F last week and none were plugged in. They turned over like it was 20F out, and not a single stutter after starting.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
are you still on the original batteries?

I doubt its glow plugs; they are basically trouble free on the dmax's and should last a LONG time. My vote is the junk AC Delco batteries are getting tired...

ben

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Batteries are new as of 1 month ago Duratothemax... they are the Napa version of the optima red tops. i had them in my 02 and were trouble free as far as i was concerned.

I shouldnt have to plug it in according to the manual until 0 degrees, although i know it is a good idea to do that, and oftentimes i do.

Does idling at 850rpm (or whatever factory spec is) deteriorate the glow plugs? How about short trips? that does happen as i live 3 miles from work & campus and the truck isnt getting warmed up 4 of the 7 days a week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds crazy but . . .

If your battery has both side and top posts/connecters, check the actual cable connection, not the conveniently accessable alternative connections. It cost my son about $250 between towing, lost wages and trouble shooting the problem to find that the convenient post that he checked was good but the post that was actually connected had an intermitant short. You might be experiencing a similar problem. Anyway, Good luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
03 Max;1603152; said:
If your battery has both side and top posts/connecters, check the actual cable connection, not the conveniently accessable alternative connections. It cost my son about $250 between towing, lost wages and trouble shooting the problem to find that the convenient post that he checked was good but the post that was actually connected had an intermitant short. You might be experiencing a similar problem. Anyway, Good luck.

That doesnt sound crazy at all... i checked both connections, although they both seemed to have a draw on them that was similar at the turn of the ignition for the glow plugs as well as the intake heater. The volts did drop to 11.1 for that time, and stayed there till the alternator kicked...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts