Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it is cold or the truck has been sitting overnight the starter makes some strange noise and cranks very slow. Eventually it will be up to normal speed, or when it hit it again it is up to normal speed. When it is hot the starter cranks normal speed right away. Sounds like the starter is on its way out.

Any good aftermarket manufacturers out there? Should I go back with new (I bet lots of money though - $500 maybe)?

How about replacement, is it easy or should I take it somewhere and let them fight with it?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have you tested the batteries? The intake heater and glow plugs takes a lot of juice, if the batteries are weak or going bad, could cause the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure who makes them but ebay has them for 125.00 or so. Do a search for duramax diesel

·
Registered
351 Posts
Had a similar problem with my suburban. Replaced the starter, but no help. Later determined that the cable from the battery down to the starter was corroded inside the jacket, about in the middle of the cable.

Just another possibility.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are some good things for me to check - so far:
  • The batteries are good (too bad I really hoping one would be out)
  • A starter from the local dealer is over $800 :eek:
  • I cannot get aftermarket from the local chain parts stores.
I am ready for a bad battery cable.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm still thinking batteries on this one. Are they the original POS Delco's? If they are, get some new batteries because it won't be long before they leak acid all over your engine compartment and frame. My preference is Sears Die-hards, lot of folks like the Optimas. I'm not real fond of the Optima's for this application, but that's just me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a place that will test my starter tomorrow morning. The best thing I have right now is a NAPA rebuilt for a little over $300.

I have replaced one battery with an Interstate the other is OEM Delco - I think you are right it does need to be replaced soon.

I should know more after the CAT scan of my starter - I sure hope it tells me something definitive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batteries have been load tested (twice now, just in case the first place messed up). Rebuilding the starter is a great idea.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You probably already know, but I understand you should replace both batts at the same time.

I had the the same symptoms as you, slow turnover when cold. Also, my instrument cluster wouldn't work intermittently. I asked the dealer to check the batteries before replacing the cluster. At first they said they were ok (my charger had read full charge at home as well, and had already checked the cables and grounds), then they called back to tell me the passenger side batt had a bad cell. Two new batteries later, both problems cured.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ive had two starters rebuilt lately with good luck one was on my bobcat loader didnt want to start needed it that day so took it in he phoned back and said the starter was okay must be a connection told him to rebuild it anywas since it was out and 12 years old but the problem was a cable connection

·
Registered
665 Posts
Remove and clean ground connectios includiong between ground connection brackedt and engine block.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My parents had a similar problem on their '02. Checked the batteries and found one bad. Replaced it, but the problem remained. I put up a thread, and was told they needed to replace both batteries. We replaced the other battery.......Problem solved. That was almost a year ago now, with no reaccurance.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Irving TX--If you can lay up the truck for a couple days,why don't you just bring the starter{if it's determined you're putting out correct juice to the starter} to a rebuilder yourself? Can definitely save some bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the outcome - they checked eveything and it was a loose battery cable at the starter. Tightened it up and all is well. ($32.00 - yes!:D )

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Thank goodness it was something simple. Congrats on not having to spend $800+!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts