Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure my starter is fixing to die on me. Dragging, turning slower like it did when I replaced it last time about 10 yrs. ago. Don't have the receipt and don't know the mfr./overhauler. Had both batteries load checked and they're fine. Batt. connections all clean and also ground studs. Just wondered if any of you guys had some advice on where to get a good one that will last another 10 yrs. I likely won't make it that long though. :)

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Pretty sure my starter is fixing to die on me. Dragging, turning slower like it did when I replaced it last time about 10 yrs. ago. Don't have the receipt and don't know the mfr./overhauler. Had both batteries load checked and they're fine. Batt. connections all clean and also ground studs. Just wondered if any of you guys had some advice on where to get a good one that will last another 10 yrs. I likely won't make it that long though. :)
Try PowerMaster Starter (y)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dually. No prices on their website and I just emailed them.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Thanks Dually. No prices on their website and I just emailed them.
You can try Unique Diesel and I think leroy sells them as well

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thank you sir.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
X2 on Powermaster. They make great hi amp alternators too. You can also get Powermaster stuff at Summit.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bud.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Powermaster x3 if you have the budget for it.

Or just buy an ACdelco reman and upgrade the battery cables from the original 35mm to 50mm, very budget friendly.

A powermaster starter is pretty nice, but it's basically just a blunt axe that you just use more force to cut stuff with.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you start OK with AC Delco for a hunnert or so, go with that. If cold starts are a trouble and you have the $cratch, the powermaster is THE THING. Wow.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
A powermaster starter is pretty nice, but it's basically just a blunt axe that you just use more force to cut stuff with.
Umm... IMO,,, Its more like the difference between a hydraulic wood splitter (Powermaster), and a splitting maul (AC Delco.)
Also You must consider the cost of materials and labor for the cable upgrade. VS a simple starter install.
Then there is a quality issue. Powermaster is a New starter. The OP wanted a starter to last 10 years. Hard to get that many years out of a AC Delco rebuilt starter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just finished the installation about an hour ago. Have to say I'm well impressed with the way it starts so quick now. It was worth the price of the thing just to get the starter cable connection relocated to the bottom along with the switch connection. Where they belong. And they located the front starter bracket stud exactly where it should be and was no problem. Thumbs up on the Powermaster.

Reactions: JMJNet and OkDually

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Umm... IMO,,, Its more like the difference between a hydraulic wood splitter (Powermaster), and a splitting maul (AC Delco.)
Also You must consider the cost of materials and labor for the cable upgrade. VS a simple starter install.
Then there is a quality issue. Powermaster is a New starter. The OP wanted a starter to last 10 years. Hard to get that many years out of a AC Delco rebuilt starter.
I had to lenghten the cables becouse of opposite battery terminals. The actual installation time was like 15min tops.
What took most of my time was getting a tool to crimp the terminals and buying the items themselves.

Total price for my cables & stuff here in Norway where everything is 10x the price than the rest of the world was like 150$.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,404 Posts
I should have bought the Powermaster starter when I changed mine a few years ago.
I think the location of the wire is better and made it easier to reinstall when you have to do it on the back.
I did not realize this advantage at that time.
Not to mention the weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts