Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

It's really really cold here and my starter takes some time to....how do you call it... "move" towards the engine or whatever. I think the correct term is the bendix? Anyway... it does this spinning sound a bunch of times until, i guess, warms up a bit and it starts just fine. When the engine is warm it has no problems whatsoever.... any advice?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Chocobo;1582298; said:
Howdy!

It's really really cold here and my starter takes some time to....how do you call it... "move" towards the engine or whatever. I think the correct term is the bendix? Anyway... it does this spinning sound a bunch of times until, i guess, warms up a bit and it starts just fine. When the engine is warm it has no problems whatsoever.... any advice?

thanks guys!
"Bendix drive" does not apply to the 6.2 starter - but I know what you mean. The Bendix drive used to be also called "inertia drive" and works differently. Pretty much obsolete.

Your starter drive is physically pushed into the flywheel - and once there is supposed to start spinning. If it spins - but the engine does not turn over - the rachet mechanism inside the starter drive is bad. The starter-drives themselves are no longer repairable, you just replace it with a new drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but once it starts in the morning, all the other starts in the day are perfect... go figure

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
If you're going with a new starter, they can be had on ebay for ~$100 aftermarket and ~$150-200 OEM...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Chocobo;1582539; said:
yeah, but once it starts in the morning, all the other starts in the day are perfect... go figure
Not hard to figure. The internals of the drive are one-way rollers and work like a one-way rachet wrench. One the grease inside gets old and hard - they get stuck when cold and loosen up when warm. Eventually they get hammered from use and being stuck and get ruined.

You can buy brand new OEM Delco 28MT starters # 1113296
for the 6.2 and 6.5 for $80 each if you shop around - I just bought several.

You can also buy the Chinese clones - new - for $97 in the low-power models, and a little over $100 if you want the full-power 3.7 KW starter like OEM. But - with the Chinese starters - read the specs. and power ratings carefully.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you had explained it like that from the beginning it wouldn't be hard to figure. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I guess i have to start looking for starters then.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
If the gear isn't engaging with the drive when it is cold, it would seem that the engagement mechanism is sticking. It sounds to me like you need to drop the starter and free up the linkage... Should be simple. I wouldn't buy a new starter just because of that, personally...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
High Sierra 2500;1583220; said:
If the gear isn't engaging with the drive when it is cold, it would seem that the engagement mechanism is sticking. It sounds to me like you need to drop the starter and free up the linkage... Should be simple. I wouldn't buy a new starter just because of that, personally...
According to his description of the problem as I comprehend it - it's spinning but not engaging. The starter engagement mechanism is designed so the spinning cannot commence until the fulcrum arm fully pushes the starter drive into place and the back of it pushes on the button inside the solenoid-can and closes the electrical contacts.. So - if it is indeed spinning - the linkage has already done its job.

Now . . if he hears some noise but no spinning - that could very well be the solenoid plunger not pushing the drive into place - but it wouldn't spin.

Either way - I wouldn't replace an entire starter either is I was going to work on it myself. He could buy a HD aftermarket drive for $20-$30 - brushes and a new solenoid for $25, etc. But - if he's looking to have it fixed - or buy an exhange rebuilt - he's likely do get a lot more for his money by buying a brand new starter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but.... i'll worry about that when it really doesn't start anymore... as it is it takes a couple of minutes to start, only in extreme cold... like now.. which sucks ballz i must say...

anyway, thanks for the info! i'll post more pics later in the week

1 - 9 of 9 Posts