Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing my 6.2 in a 76 jeep cherokee and when i went to crank it the starter stayed ingaged and woulnt kick back out "its a parts house reman" I tried to cut voltage from the 2 small posts on the starter and checked it with my fluke but it seems that it is feeding power up the small wires from the starter to the switch. Is this just a bad starter or do I have it wired wrong I have the two small posts tied togeather and an useing a push button starter switch start it. Thank in advance,
Emmitt:help:

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should use only one of the two small posts. The one marked with an "S" (that is more difficult to get at when the starter is mounted). I had the same problem when I connected to the wrong post and then temporarily jumpered to the other post as well.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The "S" terminal is the inside, next to the block, terminal. The other small terminal is an "Ign" terminal for the old style, points type, coil ign systems. It gave full battery voltage to the coil/points while in the "crank" position. When the key returned to the "run" position, the voltage dropped, through the use of a ballast resistor, to prevent burning of the points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
uneducated guess

Couldn't it be a bad ignition switch? If the ignition contacts stick in the start position instead of returning to run then wouldn't it cause the starter to stay on like this?
Just my WAG. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts