Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help surely appreciated. My charging system is giving 14+volts to both batteries but starter real slow somtimes won't spin unless boosted, would a gear reduction starter be worth the expense if starter NG?

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Yes gear reduction starters are very good, but before you buy a starter, clean all battery cables and grounds, if this doesn't do the trick, remove starter and turn stud 180 degrees in starter solenoid. Many times the stud gets arced bad on the inside and won't make good contact, simply changing the position of the stud will give a new surface for contact. Or replace the solenoid.:grd:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had that exact same problem for months. Everyone and his brother took a look at it.

Finally ……….someone discovered the bolts that go through the starter case had loosened, probably from vibration. It caused the starter to jump. A few turns of a wrench solved that exasperation. Believe me; I gave that guy a big hug

I have since changed the motor mounts and it has made a world of difference in squelching vibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked everything out still the same will try the starter next thanks for the input gave me a direction to go .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts