Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I went to Kingsport, TN this weekend to visit some friends. On the way, we stopped for gas in Birmingham (about half way) and when I got back in the truck and tried to crank it....nothing. My starter has been acting up for about a month now and I've been putting off replacing it. Anyway, after trying a couple of times, it cranked and we made it to Kingsport. The next morning, I went to the local dealerships looking for a starter. Their price.....$804!!! Thank God no dealership within 100 miles had a starter!!! Once the parts manager exhausted all of his resources, he finally tells me that my only hope is to call D&B auto electronics, a local starter/alternator shop and see if they have a starter. He gave me their number and the guy at D&B said they had one in stock. I get there, give the guy my debit card....$134!!! WTF???? I told the guy the price of the starter at the dealership and he couldn't believe it. I got a starter that works great, for $670 cheaper than the dealer was offering!!!:D
How can they get away with this? What the heck is going on, did I have a stroke or something??? This is hard for me to comprehend!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That kind of goes with the water pump replacement i had done. Went and bought the pump at O'reillys auto parts for $80.00 and paid my mechanic $300.00 to install it. Saw a lot of guy on this post that were paying $800.00 plus for the same work. Pays to shop around!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that sucks as well.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You can buy new ones on ebay for a little over $100.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My 01 ate 2 rebuilds in 3 months, gave up and got the GM one for 604.00. WTF??

·
Registered
206 Posts
wow blizzardplowman thats a little crazy. Did those replacements provide any type of shims or small dowls to help align the starter correctly?

·
Registered
174 Posts
that sux big time, good thing u shopped around. one question though...how many miles were on your truck when the starter went bad?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sux big time, good thing u shopped around. one question though...how many miles were on your truck when the starter went bad?
76,500, it started out just pausing a little when you turn the key and then it would go ahead and turn over. Then, it stopped doing it for over a month! Last Thursday, the day we left, it did the same thing...paused and then cranked. Never did it again, until it went out totally. I went and had the batteries checked and they were fine. Since it stopped pausing, we went ahead on the trip.
Anyway, my experience in the past with starters was that I would just go out and try and crank the vehicle and it just wouldn't turn over. Not in this case, it gave me plenty of warning. I'm just glad none of the dealers had the part, cause I had no choice but to buy it for $800 being in a place I wasn't familiar with.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity, if you go to a parts store (non-GM dealer) and buy an AC Delco part, is it the exact same thing as the dealer sells?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it is an AC Delco part, it is approved by GM. The dealer can sell you any part. Fraud is only part of the equation. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. You could go thru 6 starters and still be ahead than buying from the dealer.
NAPA is usually a good alternative to OEM.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
B.T.W. & F.Y.I. The part # for the starter -same part # from 2001-2006- is 97729079. G.M. Employee cost is $402.04 + taxes. Howard

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
If it is an AC Delco part, it is approved by GM. The dealer can sell you any part. Fraud is only part of the equation. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. You could go thru 6 starters and still be ahead than buying from the dealer.
NAPA is usually a good alternative to OEM.
Dealers, if you have the vehicle in for service, will generally quote you the "genuine GM part" to begin with. For expensive items such as this, if the vehicle isn't under warranty anymore, they will generally seek a lower-cost option as well. I have never seen a dealer bill a part as a GM part and actually use an aftermarket unit. That would be grounds for a rather large lawsuit, not to mention negative press for the dealership.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts