Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to start the truck this morning when i got off work and cranked it for a few seconds, stopped let the plugs cycle, cranked it again, stopped let the plugs cycle twice this time cranked it, let the plugs cycle and turned the ignition to crank it, and all I got was a click. Not multiple clicks as in a weak batery but 1 click. When the plugs cycle the lights are still on strong and no more than I cranked it, (15 seconds total max) it would not have gone dead. So I plug it in let it sit for 10 hrs go back and have the same thing. let plugs cycle and when I turn the key I get 1 click and nothing.

I am going to put a bar on it to make sure the engine is free, but I think it is the starter. Picked up a new one today 110.00$ (cheaper than I expected). If the engine will roll over by hand I will put it in tomorow. Does this sound about right?? Never had a starter fail abruptly like that. they always get weak and then click, then start, but this one just won't roll it over.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Check all of your electrical connections. If it won't crank at all I don't think it is the starter. It is probably a bad electrical connection or a bad solenoid. Both of those things can usually be fixed without replacing any parts. Starters don't just go bad all of the sudden.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts store said that the silinoids are no longer availble seprate from the starters.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That's fine. You don't need to replace the solenoid if it is bad. Remove it from the starter, pop the two bolts out and remove the end cover where the connections come out. Pop the contacts out of the solenoid, turn them around, and reinstall them. Flip the contact ring over on the shaft, and reassemble. Not exactly orthodox according to the auto parts stores who want you to buy a new starter, but the solenoid will be good as new and you'll have the $110 in your pocket.

If you need more details or pictures let me know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Starter problem

Seems like a solenoid problem, but why only one click? Mine have always continued to click if I have a good battery. If the solenoid contacts have worn then the repair by High Sierra is good as I have done that many times when the contacts use half of the posts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silanoid was fine. the click was the gear enguaging, The starter had a bad spot on it or something. Once I got it out I would enguage but not turn. I fooled with it and got it to spin but not reliably and it was a weak spin, course that could have been the jump pack I was using to spin it...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Be sure to recheck the battery cable connections. Especially the one positive post with the two cables on it. If you have side terminals, they can create all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
glad to hear you got it going:) but the guys at the parts store don't know what there talking about , the seliniod is available. I just replaced one on my 84 6.2l

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Me too! Bought it straight from AC Delco!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it wouldn't be the first time the parts store was wrong and they even admit that they don't know squat about the older chevy diesel's. End result is I got it going. If it would not been sitting in the lot at work I would have likely rebuilt the starter, but it was not practicle to do that there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts