Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my starter made a grinding noise, like the gears aren't lining up. This is about the 3rd or 4th time time this has happened, 16k, miles. I turn the key off for a couple of seconds, then it starts right up.

Anyone else have this problem. I guess its off to the stealer on Monday.-:t

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
They will likely change the starter. Most likely that won't solve the problem. If it doesn't solve the problem then the flex plate needs to be changed. To change the flex plate you need to pull the trans.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yup hapened to me they changed the starter still does it pisses me off they cant get it to do it sometimes it will do it 5-6 times before it starts what i found wen it does it i hold the key on it stops after 4-5 seconds then it starts up when you turn key again

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Mine will grind the first time I go to start it sometimes. Maybe 8 times in 17000 miles. Did it this morning actually. It always catches the second time...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seen it to

Yeah, I have had mine do it, it has happened 3 times in 17,000 miles. I had the dealer (great dealer it seems, but still too early to tell) look at it when I had the last maintenance performed, they could find no evidence so I let it go - I figure with a 100K warranty it will hopefully be a problem or a dead issue before the warranty is up. At least they have it on record and so do I.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't think the starter is covered for 100K miles. It is probably only 36K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did it to me twice in a row last weekend, so I took it to the dealer this morning. The called this afternoon, it worked perfect for them of course. They could find no evidence of any damage.

Since they didn't find anything, they didn't do anything. I still have quite a ways under my warranty, but it pisses me off that they won't do anything. I guess next time it does it, I will let it grind till there are no teeth left-:t

1 - 7 of 7 Posts