Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007.5 chevy 3500 lmm. I've replaced starter 3 times this year. Truck keeps blowing the 40 amp starter fuse in the fuse box under the hood. and truck wont start. I have to jump the solenoid with a screw driver. Just replaced starter last week with brand new AC Delco starter. I was told bad batteries. i havent checked them, yet. Thats my next step

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

The first step would be to have those batteries individually load tested.
You're on the right path (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

The first step would be to have those batteries individually load tested.
You're on the right path (y)
Just tested them. both are 12.88 when I put a load on em 1 goes to 11.22 the other goes to 11.60 id say they're shot.

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Just tested them. both are 12.88 when I put a load on em 1 goes to 11.22 the other goes to 11.60 id say they're shot.
A load test is different from a voltage test FYI

·
Registered
2007 Suburban 2500 6.6 LMM on 2500HD platform
1 Posts
Just had similar problem on My LMM, went through 4 starters! Short version the purple wire that goes to solenoid had wiggled its way out of the plastic loom in the vicinity of the PS pump and was causing a short.
There's more to this story but that was the cause of the 40 amp fuse popping. Good Luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely trace the purple wire to the solenoid for damage. The 40 amp fuse is sized such because of the large inrush current and if shorting out, there will be other damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts