Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tried to start the pickup yesterday the starter emitted a high pitched shriek, :eek: the only thing I can think of is it didn't engage the ring gear properly. I shut it down instantly and tried again and it worked fine. Anyone else had this symptom and if so did it portend a dead starter? My extended warranty ran out 35 miles ago :( so I expect Murphy to be lurking.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
I know that Murphy guy and he's trouble, but back to the starter. Its possible that it was just a freak thing. Maybe the solenoid is getting weak. Maybe the bendix. You could also have a small spot on the flywheel. The odds of lining up with it again anytime soon are way out there. I guess my best advice would be the wait and see game. If it does it again I would get worried.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It will probably get worse. My buddies truck does it almost every time he tries to start it. Could be a cracked flex plate.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, guess I will keep my fingers crossed. Where is the hill and the 4 speed when ya really need it?:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had this happen at least a dozen times since I bought my truck new. The first time happened only after owning the truck for a couple of months. Every time I have it at the dealer they are not able to replicate the problem. I do have it on record though so I guess we will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ours does this on and off.It always starts up on the second try afterwards, so I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I won't worry until it doesn't crank.
H

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine has done it 3 times, had it since new. I'm not concerned about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts