Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I'm about to bolt a new starter on the truck, and I decided to redo some of the wires going to the starter.

There seems to be a lot of connectors on the starter, and I don't know if I should use them all, or which ones are necessary. The old wires just rotted off the old starter when I was pulling it.

From what I can tell, there are 5 connector points.

I believe number 1 hooks up to the engine harness, and 4 hooks up to the passenger battery? Is 3 ground?

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note - should I have done something to the engine/crank before I pulled the old starter? Now I'm a little worried the gears won't align when I try to install the new starter...

Any other hot tips for installing a starter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not touch # 2, 4 and #5
#3 goes to the battery term, while #1 the small black wire go to the solenoid.
Always disconnect your positive battery term from battery.
Moreover, Always, Always use OEM, true OEM starter mounting bolts. Get them directly from the dealer and you should not have to use any shims
You'll be fine.
P.S
On the back of the starter there should be a post for the little bracket that secures the starter up under the wheel well. Don't forget to install it, if not, the starter will twist and break your block. Contingent upon your vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Is there no ground associated with the starter?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, I look pretty stupid now.. hahah....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to double check, it's the # 2 post you're referring to for securing the starter right?

I haven't seen the # 1 used for anything.

Also, by shims, do you mean that it's best to not use any washers with the 2 OEM bolts? Is it more secure that way?

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
#2 is for the starter support bracket that attaches to the starter and secures to the engine block.
That support bracket is very important to have!

Reactions: truckr65

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
#2 is for the starter support bracket that attaches to the starter and secures to the engine block.
That support bracket is very important to have!
Very Important nut to tighten it to the bracket.

Additional comment:
The 2 bolts from the bottom have integrated washer and "knurled" before thread.
Those 2 features should hold the starter.
You NEED to buy NEW bolts every time the starter is changed.
The old bolt tends to stretch so it does not hold the starter tightly anymore due to torque power.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
435 Posts
The shims that were referred to would go between the block and the starter base. Do not use any

1 - 9 of 9 Posts