Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new 6.5 owner here, and I have a quick question about the starter bracket. I just bought a truck, and it has an aftermarket starter in it. I am curious, if they actually sold starters without the ability to brace it up in some way, like the starter bracket?? I can not yet tell if there is any kind of bracket on the starter, as it is too hard to see, but I tried to feel up there, and could not feel any place to mount the bracket, which I found in the back floorboard. I am going to remove the passenger tire, and inner fender, and see if I can get a better look, but an kinda afraid to start it, until I know for sure. I am sure that I will be on here a lot, since I am kinda consumed with getting everything right with my vehicles, and I prefer to do the work myself.

·
Administrator
15,700 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
Study the anatomy of the starter using any pictures.
There is some sort of stud on the back side of the starter.
The stud slip into a bracket, then tightened with a nut.

As far as orientation, the starter is actually facing toward the rear of the truck.
So the bracket is forward of the starter because the back of the starter is actually toward the front of the engine.

I hope that make sense.

You need to go down there with a very good light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I crawled under it again tonight, I could see better, and if seems that there is a spot for the bracket. From what I can feel, as I couldn’t really see, I was thrown off because there is no stud in the starter. That also explains why there was a bolt by the bracket. The starter is still solid, and was working great last time I used it. The batteries are unplugged now, so it won’t be starting until I get ready.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
"Severe damage to the block" = new engine, rarely if ever repairable.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You really do need to get that bracket on your starter if it's not there. Causes unbelievable grief if you don't.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
If the starter don't have the stud, there is a possibility it is not the correct starter.
It may be in the same family of starter but not the one designed for this truck.

Even the Powermaster starter have the stud.

Starter bracket GM-23502557
You can search it at amazon, it won't allow me to link it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the starter don't have the stud, there is a possibility it is not the correct starter.
It may be in the same family of starter but not the one designed for this truck.

Even the Powermaster starter have the stud.

Starter bracket GM-23502557
You can search it at amazon, it won't allow me to link it.
I felt around, and it feels like the ear, and the hole are there, but not the stud. I will pull the starter, as soon as I can, and check it out. There is a bolt laying by the starter bracket, so I am thinking that the stud was replaced with a bolt, will this work?? I will keep y'all updated, as I get a chance to remove it.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!!!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
Whatever it has as long as it is tight and the starter is not moving.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,730 Posts
IIRC, there should not be any visible gap between the starter and the bracket.
Of course, it is probably have to be felt and not easily visible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I bought my GMC truck, it had a new ring gear and starter, the bracket was missing and there was no stud in the bracket hole. It was necessary to make both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts