Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics of the starter bracket? I've been going bracketless for several thousand miles, and I don't want to push my luck any further. The local dealer has never been much help to me, and I've heard others on this forum say they couldn't get the bracket from the dealer anyway, so I figured I'd fab up my own. Just wanted to see a pic of the installed bracket so I know what I'm trying to replicate. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll take a pix of the factory one(paid $2.16 for it new) tomorrow and i'll take a pic of the one I made(paid nothing) and try and post it.

On a side note hows the 2 1/2" duals work/ sound? was thinkin about doin that and an "H" pipe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gvus;1566872; said:
On a side note hows the 2 1/2" duals work/ sound? was thinkin about doin that and an "H" pipe
I can't compare to anything else, because I've been straight piped ever since I swapped the engine into the truck. As far as noise goes, it's not too bad. I use a pretty light foot around town. I could probably make it a bit obnoxious if I wanted.

I appreciate the pics if you get a chance to put them up. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here you go.
first is the one i made the second is the factory unit.

About your pipes.... I'm true duals w/o cats and my pipes dump just after the 14 bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Hey Gvus, thanks a lot. Does it attach to the block with one of the oil pan bolts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
thumbsmasher;1572637; said:
Hey Gvus, thanks a lot. Does it attach to the block with one of the oil pan bolts?
Yeah it does... i put a couple washers between the pan and bracket so I would clear the lip on my pan.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The second PIC posted above is the bracket for the gear reduction starter and is part # 23502557 and should be under $5.00 at the GM dealer. Sorry I don't have the part # for the direct drive starter bracket used on the '88 and older engines, but it is longer and shaped a bit different. The bracket bolts in a bolt hole above the oil pan rail in the side of the block and to a stud in the front of the starter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
oil burner;1572996; said:
The second PIC posted above is the bracket for the gear reduction starter and is part # 23502557 and should be under $5.00 at the GM dealer. Sorry I don't have the part # for the direct drive starter bracket used on the '88 and older engines, but it is longer and shaped a bit different. The bracket bolts in a bolt hole above the oil pan rail in the side of the block and to a stud in the front of the starter.
Will the newer style bracket (like in the photo above) work on the '88 and older engines? I just picked one up for my '86, but haven't crawled under to see if it will work. Didn't know there were different types...

Smitty

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
WHSmith;1573022; said:
Will the newer style bracket (like in the photo above) work on the '88 and older engines? I just picked one up for my '86, but haven't crawled under to see if it will work. Didn't know there were different types...

Smitty
Yes, it will fit if it is used in combination with the later model gear reduction starter. It will not work with a direct drive starter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oil burner;1572996; said:
The bracket bolts in a bolt hole above the oil pan rail in the side of the block and to a stud in the front of the starter.
That bolt hole doesnt exist on my block.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i had the starter off this weekend to put new cables in so i snapped some photos..note the massive 2/0 cable in the first pic
wylie

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the starter have a specific bolt that attaches to the bracket, or will any of the bolts that hold the housing in place work?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
One of the bolts that holds the starter together should have extra threads on it. The bracket goes on that and then you put a nut and lockwasher on it to hold it in place.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gvus posts:
quote "That bolt hole doesnt exist on my block."quote

It should be there it is same hole the bracket for the direct drive starter bracket bolts to now. The bracket for the reduction type starter is shorter and different shape and bolts on the block just like the original along with a reduction starter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
yea I forgot to mention that the hole in my braket doesnt line up with the one on my starter, its about an inch off, its a gear reduction starter btw...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
yea I forgot to mention that the hole in my braket doesnt line up with the one on my starter, its about an inch off, its a gear reduction starter btw...
The gear reduction starters have a different bracket. If you need one you can go to the GM dealer and buy one. Buy one for a later truck with a 6.5TD and it should be the right one. It should only cost a few dollars...

·
Registered
336 Posts
wyliek;1585134; said:

This is the part # you need for the reduction starter:GM# 23502557 your local dealer should have one or can order you one should only be a couple $.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It should be there it is same hole the bracket for the direct drive starter bracket bolts to now. The bracket for the reduction type starter is shorter and different shape and bolts on the block just like the original along with a reduction starter.
Mine goes from the end of the starter to an oil pan bolt.... never had the factory bracket.... probably why I had a broken starter bolt.... and why the starter went bad, that or the fact that ive been frame deep in silt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts