Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One quick question ... Has anybody had their starter bolt snap off. I'm talking about the two long bolts holding the starter near the flywheel. I don't know why but my dad's 94 Blazer snaps them off every couple of years. Two years ago I replaced them with the GM originals and this morning when backing up I noticed one bolt on the ground. Bloody cold this morning here -25 without the windchill factor. I need to bring it a garage today.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Is the small bracket from the starter motor to engine block missing?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I believe it's a common occurance in colder climates. My dad's 6.2L used to break them a few times a year. That was a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It happened to me once, a couple of years ago. Happened during a start while rolling in neutral, but don't know if that had anything to do with it. Replaced it with GM replacement and haven't broken another one (or done another rolling start) since.

From what I've gathered, snapping the starter bolts is not uncommon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep the small bracket holding the starter is there. I wonder if I should try to start it with one bolt missing or towing it to the garage? I won't do it today ... too cold.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Where is the best place to buy starter bolts. This thread got me thinking that I need 3 sets of starter bolts for various vehicles.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I break 4 a year, so far I have gone through about 12 bolts myself and can swap them out in a parkinglot in about 10 minutes with a drill and easy out.

I bought them through GM and then once they snapped a few more times, I started going to ACE and gettting them there. Just the reg Grade 8 Bolt and lock washer.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Maybe I should just reuse the bolts I have in now. Sounds like buying new bolts isn't a good preventative measure.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What's the torque spec on the starter bolts?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
DavidPhillips;1590967; said:
What's the torque spec on the starter bolts?
I hope somebody answers this. It'll save me the trouble of looking it up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Personally I would never reuse them. Keep a set behind the seat, basically ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Primer;1591094; said:
Personally I would never reuse them. Keep a set behind the seat, basically ;)
Why not reuse them if everybody is having problems with them breaking anyway?

I have never reused them before. I've never had any break either.
If I remember right the torque spec for the starter bolts is around 35 ft lbs.
Is this correct? I tried to call the dealership but they are closed.
I called a dealer in Wyoming that said they were calling back but they haven't yet.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
All of the broken bolts replaced in this thread any nobody knows the torque spec.

Seems like there may be something to that.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
the first time that I torqued them on the truck, they snapped in less then a month. The next time that I put in another set I just put antiseeze on the threads and used a nice lock washer and snugged it good. That is what has lasted good for me.

and a 3/8-16 dry torque would be about 30-35, depending on the grade.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
33ftlbs on the bolts, 71"lbs on the bracket bolts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Something is wrong with the ones breaking bolts. Starter is either running shallow or deep. There is a hole in the starter nose to block the drive gear out with a pin so the engagement depth in the flywheel ring gear can be determined. Described in the GM 6.5 manuals. I just removed & replaced starter in Sig truck at 443000 mi. Bolts had never been out & the support bracket to block bolt was missing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts