Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out this morning to start my truck, -7c (20f), turned key on, waited for wait to start light went out, cranked, fired up then died. Cranked again and again, nothing. Turned ignition off then on again, waiting for light to go out, cranked and started.

This normal? It's been colder and started fine before so I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try bleeding and priming yer fuel filter, button on top of housing...open plastic bleeder and pump till no air comes out, then close bleeder, then pump till hard...(don't touch that one)

·
Registered
60 Posts
That EXACT thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, freaked me right out. Per recommendations of the kind people around here, I changed fuel filter and reprimed. Started up, no problems since.

Bought mine used a couple months ago, dealer claimed changed filters, etc. I doubt it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the filter, made the mistake of letting a dealer change it. Adding the Nicktane tomorrow so may change the factory filter too.

I was kinda leaning towards glow plugs but the truck fired up fine this am. To tell the truth it sat for a couple of days before...

This isn't my first diesel. First was a 1995 Landrover Defender with a whopping 68HP and manual glow plugs, you just held them on until you felt it was time. Next truck was a 1990 Toyota Landcruiser imported from Japan, it had 168HP, whoohoo. That truck was great, would start instantly except when it was cold. Would have to cycle glow plugs on a couple of times before she would fire (-30c). Now the LB7, just a bit of a difference...hehe

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. Offhand, should the primer on the fuel pump be hard all the time? Usually takes a couple pumps to achieve this...boy this language is going somewhere...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too have been thinking of adding the extra pre-filter (Nicktane). I think either in their directions, or a more experienced person round here, suggested changing the OEM filter after cutting into the fuel system or shortly after. Search around a little, lots of good common sense stuff here. I can't recall exactly, so check it out.

I might also lobby for making sure you "fixed" your problem before changing anything significant. I always hate debugging overlapping problems.

I'm waiting till warmer weather, or till I clean my garage a little more. My truck is a popsicle right now with all the frozen crap all over.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Primer button should be firm all the time....even after sitting for a day or 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts