Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a issue with start up in the morning. Has started to take longer for me to start the truck. The truck will crank for a while before it catchs. With in the last few days it would start and stall. When I say start it will run for a second or two then stall. This would happen once or twice. I am pluging it in at night as it only takes moments to warm up and run smooth. I was wondering if the glow plugs need to be replaced. I think they have about 40K or so on them.

DG

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Test each plug for .8-1.4 Ohms cold or replace all at ~$10 ea.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could something like this also be the tank pump?

This morning the truck was pluged in. I let the glow plugs cycle for about two minutes. Then crank the truck. Nothing. Just cranked away no catching at all. Stopped and retried. This time it catched and sputtered for a few seconds. This happen twice more. Step on the diesel pedel once and then cranked it and it started up. Withing in 10 or so seconds the engine was running smooth.

The engine has always given off a clould of white smoke on start up when it's sits for a long time and it's cold on start up. The smoke stops after a second or two. Since I got the truck oil & filter has been changed every 2500 to 3000 miles. Fuel filter get changed every 5000 miles.

DG

·
Registered
695 Posts
Possible air leak in fuel system? That will make them a little moody at start up. Until the air gets worked out....

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the check on the Lift pump and it works fine. This morning I gave it a little pump before cranking and then right when it start to catch and it started right up.

So I'm starting to think air in the line. I'm do for an oil and fuel filter change. Maybe the fuel filter seal is leaking a little. If not that then I guess I might have to trace the fuel line out and see if I can spot a leak?

If it's leaking then if I let it idle for awhile I might get a drip so that I'll know where to look right?

DG

·
Registered
684 Posts
could be leaking under intake from filter to IP... then you won't know as it will catch the fuel on top of the block between heads, and you can't be leaking enough to fill that up or you wouldn't be running... Or possibly a cracked injection line...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Fuel leaks don't always leak out but they will suck air in. One trick that a guy told me is to spray either on the lines and injectors, if the motor speeds up it is sucking air. Don't know if it will hurt anything or not just a trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts