Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are any of you folks using the Stanadyne FM-100 setup to filter your juice? If so, which vendor did you buy it from and what were the prices like? Did they have a full line of the FM-100 stuff (heaters, water sensors, prefilter screens, etc)?

Also, is it sufficient to simply run one 5-micron element, instead of 2-stage filtering? I'm thinking I may just run a 5-micron FM-100 element with a 150 micron pre-filter screen in the head.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I assume your talking about using straight WVO and filtering it for fuel. I use all homemade stuff. I used a single filter, gravity fed filtration setup, it worked well enough to burn, but I did not like it much.
I am in the process of building a centrifuge so I don't have to buy filters, can filter a little quicker, and can be sure there is no water left. I only got one more part (hopefully) left that needs to be machined and I'm good to go.

You might try on the fluids section, there are some guys on there that really know their stuff when it comes to WVO, or Bio.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, actually I'm going to use it for the filter in my truck. I'll be running (at least for now) on #2 Diesel from the pump. The original filtration system is fubar, and I like the FM-100 setup for flexibility and low cost.

By the way, I just ordered an FM-100 setup from Reliable Industries with the head, residue/water sight bowl, 150-micron pre-screen, and 3 extra 5-micron filter elements for $95 + shipping. Should be a pretty good deal I think.

http://www.reliableindustries.com/catalog/STN/fm100.php?show=kits

With this thing I can add fuel heaters, water sensors, different elements, lift/purge pumps or whatever as needed. Maybe overkill, but I like it regardless.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
rokit;1580627; said:
Are any of you folks using the Stanadyne FM-100 setup to filter your juice? If so, which vendor did you buy it from and what were the prices like? Did they have a full line of the FM-100 stuff (heaters, water sensors, prefilter screens, etc)?

Also, is it sufficient to simply run one 5-micron element, instead of 2-stage filtering? I'm thinking I may just run a 5-micron FM-100 element with a 150 micron pre-filter screen in the head.
According to all the rotary pump companies, 5 micron at final filtering is a must. Even finer if your engine has common-rail injection. The rest is just a matter of convenience versus cost. A two stage sytem used to be standard in diesels - but requires a little more work to maintain. But - years ago - the first filter was fairly cheap and only the end stage 5 micron filter was expensive. The best system used two filters with sediment bowls attached on the bottom. The bowls catch a lot of debris and water before it goes through the filter - but they are the least convenient to maintain.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I bought one awhile back from Huckstorf Diesel. There website is www.hdiesel.com Give Mark a call and he will help you out. BTW he is also a supporting vendor here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts