Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 1997 k1500 with a 6.5L TD. it runs fine except after i drive for a while. after i drive a lot during the day, it starts to stall. some times if i'm still on the throttle, it will just die down, but not totally die, but then it comes right back up. last weekend i took a trip that took about 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back, it ran fine most of the way up there, but a little over halfway up there it would keep cutting out. i had the cruise set, so i think since i was still going, the gears may have kept the engine turning long even to start it back up on its own. it would feel like i hit the brakes then got right back on the throttle again. it got kinda annoying. on the way back i tested this by putting it neutral when it started doin this, and it completely stalled. but i turned the key and it started right back up like it does every time.
any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would say PMD as it acts like mine does/did. have you tried going thru the dignostic check list yet? http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42248

It could be something simple so try doing everything listed as usually you will find the problem by the time you are finished the list. If you still have not found the problem there are lots of knowledgeable folks here, that have the answers for you

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Test fuel supply pressure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
when was the fuel filter changed last? good fuel? water? running any additives?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, i'll go through the checklist. i think i need to change the fuel filter, i dont know when, if it was, changed last. it has 113k miles. i aint running any additives or not, but i dont think it is the fuel condition, i go through at least a half tank a week, normally three-fourths, and i get fuel from different places incase a place does have bad fuel, but it still acts the same

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent been able to do much checking yet, however i did turn the t valve and fuel comes out, so that aint the problem. my check engine light came on, so i took it to auto zone to get the computer checked and it came up with 2 p0401 codes, it said egr flow insufficient. could this be my problem? if so, what do i need to do to fix the problem? also, what is the best fuel additive to get? i got kleen diesel + cetane boost, made by power service. is this a good brand?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i havent been able to do much checking yet, however i did turn the t valve and fuel comes out, so that aint the problem. my check engine light came on, so i took it to auto zone to get the computer checked and it came up with 2 p0401 codes, it said egr flow insufficient. could this be my problem? if so, what do i need to do to fix the problem? also, what is the best fuel additive to get? i got kleen diesel + cetane boost, made by power service. is this a good brand?
anybody know anything about that code number?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts