Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help trouble shooting. I have a '95 chevy 2500 pick-up with 133,000. I have an additional grease system which I also run. On the advice of my mechanic, I added injector cleaner/ junk remover to a tank of diesel about 6 weeks ago. I shortly thereafter experienced excessive stalling until finally I couldn't start the thing. I changed the fuel filter, bled the system and replaced the lift pump (original). Ran ok for 10 days or so and started stalling again - mostly but not exclusively in the AM. Changed the fuel filter again thinking may just be continued junk from the tank cloggin it but she is still stalling. The PMD has been relocated and the truck has always run well since the relocation. So... before I take it to a mechanic I'd like to figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have a few ideas, but more experienced people should chime in and help out.

this i can say though; you should fill in your signature with your trucks info so we know what we are dealing with(edit: sorry, i forgot you listed your truck in the post).

also filling in the diagnostic checklist will help:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42248

also, where did you relocated the pmd to and how long ago?

·
Registered
969 Posts
sometimes junk in the tank will take a long time to clean out i know i had to do about 10 filters and keep the truck running though 2 tanks afterwards that was fun but nothing was left lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe snot in his stocking?:idea:

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Maybe snot in his stocking?:idea:
2x as a possibility, I just cleaned mine this morning 2nd time in 3 mos -:t-:t-:tthis time I did a more thorough cleaning than last time when I was away from home in a bind and managed a cursory get it home swabbing out evidently.

Same as last go around http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181489 except this time I was running Fl to Ms vs Ms to Tx last time it happened

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im having the same problem---its an old farm truck, not worth much--- buts its a flatbed and much needed here on farm to feed animals---it keeps stalling, sometimes will start right away, and then sometimes wont start at all---ive had this problem before, and replaced brain or sensor as called, on top of motor to keep cool and it ran ok for a year or so, now it up to its old tricks again and its getting me p---ed off. The truck isnt worth replacing a pump and i guess whats called the brain again. Is there anyway to short circuit brain and get it going again. muleskinner

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
fuel pressure? power to ecm? grounds?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You might want to drop the tank just to see if there is any crap in side. I drop mine every 6 month's or so diesel fuel is not the cleanest.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Im having the same problem---its an old farm truck, not worth much--- buts its a flatbed and much needed here on farm to feed animals---it keeps stalling, sometimes will start right away, and then sometimes wont start at all---ive had this problem before, and replaced brain or sensor as called, on top of motor to keep cool and it ran ok for a year or so, now it up to its old tricks again and its getting me p---ed off. The truck isnt worth replacing a pump and i guess whats called the brain again. Is there anyway to short circuit brain and get it going again. muleskinner
Mule...
This "brain" you speak of??? is it a black box the size of a deck of cards? if so it sould not be mounted on the intake or on top of the motor, orginally they are mounted on the Injection Pump, but need to be moved out of the engine bay mounted on some kind of heat sink, If you have already replaced it(1yr ago) its likely shot again as engine heat kills em. BTW there is NO way to short them to get the engine to start, maybe someone on this site has a spare you could plug in to confirm infact that it is a faulty PMD. but there are other things to be checked as well fill out the diagnostic check list to help everyone here narrow down your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
muleskinner

I did replace the black box---and mounted it on independent stand above engine to keep cool with longer harness---The injections people told me to mount in there---i also pulled the thermostat so the engine would run much cooler,( not good for diesels i know) but it was done with the interest of keeping engine much cooler.

The truck runs well when it starts, but will quit right in the middle of a run while feeding---there ought to be a way to bypass this damn thing with out spending mucho dollars--------thanks for your advice, will keep on trying to find a solution---

by the way, have also switched to dodge cummins ---there is no comparison,---mine has a jake and boost kit-------no trouble with it and have had several ---got a 99 now ---Ive also been the ford route, forget that----I will continue to run my chevy, love the old truck, but cant spend much money on it----and my animals depend on it-----will check back for more advice---

1 - 11 of 11 Posts