Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am ordering my tranny today. I need to know what the best convertor is for it however. I tow a 30 foot Gooseneck and it has lots of weight on it 7 days a week in the summer. I also want to race a bit, and pull locally. I am ordering the trans brace as well. But I need technical numbers on the verter when I call.

Man I was sad last night when she went, but this morning I woke up with the WTF I am gonna get me a full tilt tranny for my baby!:ro)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Call Joe and have him pick your converter. He knows more about what converter will work in what situation better than anybody. No one hear has seen tons of different converters in action and tested and retested and such more than him. The only person that cames close and I would actually take his oppinion on is Mike L.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will do that. I appreciate your opinion.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thats what we did for mine Jared, just let the MAN pick it out for my application.

Good luck. What gave up on the stocker? Speaking of stocker, shouldn't you still have some warranty left? Maybe get part of that SCV paid for by the General?? Just a thought that could be worth pursuing.

C-ya

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
signiture said:
Dynoed Oct. 9th at 440 HP YES!!!
I'm thinking it wasnt the generals fault his trans gave up the ghost;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHA well I know I am about to crank it a bit tighter so I might as well do the complete V and have a good warranty. Gm has too much red tape and it would not do me any good.

Mitch how you likeing your Suncoast?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
"liking" isn't the word for it. I LOVE IT.

I honestly think it would do even better if I put my foot in it more often because the few times I do, it shifts pretty dam hard (I attribute this to not have "learned" how to shift under those more demanding situations) If I had anything more than stock power when it is clickin em off under rapid acceleration, it would probably bark the tires in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. With gobs of power, it may even get a bark on the 3-4. It shifts true and firm when it its being demanded.

The other 90% of the time I spend driving "normally" (I know I have to watch the use of that terms as it is defined differently for different folks ;) ) it shifts just like stock to me.

Bottom line is, it ROCKS and I couldn't be happier!!! :D

You will love yours. IF you come to Chris' place for the meeting, we can go for a spin if you'd like. IF someone happens to have a Tech II, we could even put your Edge in my truck, get the trans to do a fast learn and see how it handles the Edge. (I would be very interested in this for opposite reasons as yours, I need the power. you need the trans. This way we can both get a feel for each :D )

C-ya

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal and I understand. Not a problem my friend.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
it make that much of a differance on a stock truck just to get the trans
done? dont know im just getting into mods.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
it make that much of a differance on a stock truck just to get the trans
done? dont know im just getting into mods.
On a stock truck, the stock trans will hold fine. If you plan on upgrading and doing modifications then the trans is the best place to start. Most of us on here reverse enginier that and mod our trucks until we are over the holding capabilities of the stock trans.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
It matters how far you want to go, and then its better to overbuild than underbuild, and if your going to run at a level that is boarderline to what a stock allison can take its best to take care of things before hand than to fry it out right, unless you plan to go with a full out trans anyway then smoke em(clutches ):h) if ya got em :D

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I upgraded sooner than planned due to a failed tailpiece on the trans otherwise it would still be stock.

C-ya

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i bought a aftermarket warranty on my truck im thinking that i can
get it done under that warranty seeing it will be done at my shop
if they let me fluid is dark but only if i had some bad clutchs):h

1 - 13 of 13 Posts