Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running stacks have a muffler in the system somewhere (underbod or in the stacks)?

How loud is it?

I have toyed with putting stacks in BUT I don't want it to be unbarebly loud, just know its not stock. I think a nice 4" underbody muffler would do the trick BUT I need to know how much even aftermarket mufflers resonate. Are they bad?

Just weighing my options.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tomac has a muffler on his stack. You might want to ask him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
grand rock has spiral mufflers in there stacks, u here this type on the big rigs alot. they sound nice but not to loud on them so a smaller motor should bea bit quiter

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew about those in the muffler ones but they are high $$$$. Over $100 PER stack. Need to go with something different.

·
Registered
155 Posts
look up grand rock truck exhaust systems

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mitch,

Check out my pics in this thread I created a long time ago.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32621

I may still have some pics of it that you can see the muffler better. Basically what I did was gutted the stock muffler and cut it in half to make it shorter. From there it was placed in between the front pipe and the 90 degree pipe that went up through the bed.

Dan

·
Registered
926 Posts
Also the sound was perfect that way. It was very quiet, yet you could still notice they were there. The turbo whistle was very nice also. I imagine if you don't gut the stock muffler and just shorten it, the stacks won't be loud at all. Just to warn you, I tried using an MBRP straight through muffler with the stacks and I found it to be too loud for my liking.

Dan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone running stacks have a muffler in the system somewhere (underbod or in the stacks)?

How loud is it?

I have toyed with putting stacks in BUT I don't want it to be unbarebly loud, just know its not stock. I think a nice 4" underbody muffler would do the trick BUT I need to know how much even aftermarket mufflers resonate. Are they bad?

Just weighing my options.
I sent you a PM smokeshow!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have Grand rock stacks with a muffler. Only put the muffler because of the interior drone, other then that, they were not that loud. Sound good still. I used a muffler simular to the MBRP, but its a aftermarket jegs muffler out of there diesel kit. Good luck, fits nice up towards the front were the converter was.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody.

brich6600, you got any pics?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ya go under my garage, have a couple pics, not real good ones yet though. Links on the left under my pic. I cut mine to make them level with the cab, about 8 inches off them.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seen those in your garage. I was more curious about the muffler and all under the truck. You use the factory front pipe or go aftermarket?

Main thing is noise going down the interstate. How is it?

Thanks for the post. I'm really surprised someone else has a muffled stack setup. Kinda cool. We should start a club if I do mine. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't have any pics right now, will take some though and get them on here the best I can. It was really loud drone in the cab before the muffler. Muffler took lots of drone away, and made it so you can ride or drive in it again. I have a aftermarket 4 in pipe from bottom of turbo pipe back to the stacks. Kit from my Jeg's exhaust I had. Put the muffler into that. Worked pretty good. I will get you pics soon though.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey SmokeShow, go into my garage now, I have a picture of what it looks like in the bed, I couldn't get under it to take a picture of the muffler, but the muffler is about where the cat was, just on a 4 in pipe. Hope this helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.