Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
Joined
·
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Call me what you want, but I don't quite understand the whole stacking programmers thing. What is the best advantage of doing so? I'd imagine that the power doesn't double between the two, but I'm sure power increases to a point. I'm guessing that some programmers supply things that others don't. My main question is, is it a good idea? If so, what would be a good partner for my Edge J/A? I do plan on a new trans this spring along with a lift pump (maybe 2 if it's necessary). It seems that other programmers offer up to 215hp (ppe, quadzilla) but I don't think they offer a monitor. Is this one reason for stacking? Is there any other risks involved in doing so? Should I just get the hot unlock code and leave it alone? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
Joined
·
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on. No one wants to help me out??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
Well the main reason people stack programers and chips is because they may own one thing and decide they want more so they just add another product to one they already own. Stacking can be good or bad, it all depends. Yea theres probably better ways of getting big power (EFI Live) but is it a bad idea to stack, no not neccesarly. The most common problem i hear of with stacking is adding too much timimng by combining two products that both add timing and fuel can cause this. There is tons of opinions about this topic, thats just mine. As for stacking with your edge, i dont know what will work for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
I have a ppe and an edge... I stack them.. but mostly just for the on the fly performance. The juice is nice so that I can force it to defuel if I want.. or not.. I can quickly adjust if I am just tooling around town.. so for the most part I leave the j/a on 1 or 3.. and leave the ppe on its 1st setting. stacking is cool.. but if ppe made a system like the j/a I wouldn't stack anymore..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
When I get EFI Live I am selling my my Predator to my buddy. He is going to stack it with his Banks six gun. with the Predator on 40 he has a little more low end power and cuts out some of the defule and with the banks he will have the on the fly adjustability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
You can stack if your goal is to unlock your speed limiter but to handle more power than your edge you will need a built trans...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
The bastard stack which I have works great and has proven to run well in the past. Quad 215 with edge on which ever level your trucks fuel supply will handle without a lift pump. Best performances with the bastard stack were the hot juice and the 215. The reason I have this stack is I bought both my units(edge juice and attitude $289 total, quad 10 tune $250)used. Had the edge first and used my pred for awhile with it then picked up the quad for $250. Use edge(level 1) mainly for safety and gauges and quad stays on 215 nos tune for less timing so rattle isn't there on my truck. With the regular 215 the only time I had any rattle was when the edge wasn't up to operating temp. I tried the 215 nos tune and there is none even when the edge is getting to temp so I've left it. Stacking you use the programmer to flash the ecm and the box changes things somewhat after the ecm sends the signal. You might pick up 30 or more hp at the wheels when combined over the programmer alone. Every truck is different so you may get more or less. Some don't work well with each other either. There are other combo's like ppe which work good to. You can unlock the hot and see if it's enough for your needs but I'll guess after you taste that it won't be long and you'll want more. Quad now offers a monitor but you already have the edge so I'd keep it and go from there.
 

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
Joined
·
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great help. Thanks guys. I'm considering a Quad tuner stacked with my Edge. Looks to be a decent stack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Whatever you decide to do or stack I would for sure put in a mechanical Pyro and boost gauge, because I have heard on a few seperate occations that when mechanical gauges have been added to a rig that already has an egde module on it, they found that the mechanical gauges were reading significantly different then what the edge was and the last thing you want is to have inaccurate EGT readings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Cobrabob;1601480; said:
Whatever you decide to do or stack I would for sure put in a mechanical Pyro and boost gauge, because I have heard on a few seperate occations that when mechanical gauges have been added to a rig that already has an egde module on it, they found that the mechanical gauges were reading significantly different then what the edge was and the last thing you want is to have inaccurate EGT readings.
My isspro egt gauge read lower than my edge by about 120 degrees and climbed slower than the digital read by the edge. I took the isspro out and use the edge for gauges. Rather have it read a tad higher than to low but who knows which was accurate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
i have the same problem with the outlook its off by about 200*. but when im WOT its by a whole lot and the mechanical never goes above 1200*. does anyone know what one is right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Just to let you know we stacked hypertech on the 90 hp. setting and the edge on the hot setting and we felt a huge change from just the edge just an idea to try a buddy's programmer if possible and then see what you like but the 6th stage on the edge is awesome for 25 hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
stacking is good because you dont always have to have a tune in like me the van aaken is always there no matter what if I run up on someone with no tune loaded up which I do alot when I,m on the highway then I have backup at the flick of a switch which is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
SteveFord;1601504; said:
My isspro egt gauge read lower than my edge by about 120 degrees and climbed slower than the digital read by the edge. I took the isspro out and use the edge for gauges. Rather have it read a tad higher than to low but who knows which was accurate?
It's not the EGT gauge you have to worry about, it's the Attitudes boost gauge that has gotten a few people in trouble, just ask Ben aka Duratothemax. Stacking is not cool, you have no idea what is really going on because all harness boxes fool the ECM into making power. If your ECM is being fooled how can you be sure what you have and you are not hurting anything, not by scanning because you are fooling the ECM. Sure you may get lucky and find some combo that give you more power but you are much better off running a single well written tune.

Don't believe me ask Moss, he dropped about 4 tenths by switching from the bastard stack to the TTS Xtreme along with improved drivability. There are better ways to make power than stacking, I don't care what your reasoning is or how cheap your stack appears to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
heres an interesting question my buddy had the edge with att. his att. always said it was making 30 psi boost how is that possible with no aftermarket gate or boost enhancer? or is it faulty communication on the part of the edge ? I always thought that if the gate spring only allowed say 10 psi then that was what you got unless you modded the gate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
RaceHemi;1633501; said:
It's not the EGT gauge you have to worry about, it's the Attitudes boost gauge that has gotten a few people in trouble, just ask Ben aka Duratothemax. Stacking is not cool, you have no idea what is really going on because all harness boxes fool the ECM into making power. If your ECM is being fooled how can you be sure what you have and you are not hurting anything, not by scanning because you are fooling the ECM. Sure you may get lucky and find some combo that give you more power but you are much better off running a single well written tune.

Don't believe me ask Moss, he dropped about 4 tenths by switching from the bastard stack to the TTS Xtreme along with improved drivability. There are better ways to make power than stacking, I don't care what your reasoning is or how cheap your stack appears to be.
My truck dosen't compete in competion so as far as the best power or the most power I really don't care or need it. I have it just for playing around. For $539 the price of both edge/attitude and quad I'd say for what I do its worth the money exspecially when I can pull one or the other off and sell it and recoop what i have in that programmer or box setup. Never did i say running a stack is better than a well written tune so if your going to quote me don't add to what I said. I understand the readings of the egt's or boost can and will be different from a mechanical gauge to a digita gauge that gets its info from a box. I gave my opinion about the question asked thats it.
 

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
Joined
·
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SteveFord;1634398; said:
My truck dosen't compete in competion so as far as the best power or the most power I really don't care or need it. I have it just for playing around. For $539 the price of both edge/attitude and quad I'd say for what I do its worth the money exspecially when I can pull one or the other off and sell it and recoop what i have in that programmer or box setup. Never did i say running a stack is better than a well written tune so if your going to quote me don't add to what I said. I understand the readings of the egt's or boost can and will be different from a mechanical gauge to a digita gauge that gets its info from a box. I gave my opinion about the question asked thats it.
Being the one that asked the question, I appreciate your input. I ended up going with a Quadzilla 215 to stack with my Edge. I've been running the Quad @ 135hp and the Edge on #2. I'm pretty happy with the combo. I feel that I'm running a bit conservative for what I now have, but I don't want to go overboard-especially w/o lift pumps and a trans(soon to come).
That being said, is there anyone out there running the same stack? What levels are you running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
i ran that stack for a while , ran the quad on 215 and edge on 2 it dynoed 460hp/ 904tq at merchants last spring. ive since went to one tuner, ppe hot+2 e.t. and i personally think its much smoother power.. alway on tune #10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Reread the quote Steve, I didn't add to what you said I'm just pointing out a few facts to those that think stacking is cool, but then again, you're stacking so you obviously think its a good way to go. You're right, $539 appears cheap and that's the typical argument for stacking, but I don't see the bang for the buck if you can't drive it around without turning it down because drivability lacks. It's not just about having big power all the time, or being in competition, you still have to drive it. I run a race tune that drives like stock but yet I drag race it, tow, manage to get 19+mpg on the highway, and can let my mom take it to the store, all without changing tunes. Stacking is a thing of the past.

SteveFord;1634398; said:
My truck dosen't compete in competion so as far as the best power or the most power I really don't care or need it. I have it just for playing around. For $539 the price of both edge/attitude and quad I'd say for what I do its worth the money exspecially when I can pull one or the other off and sell it and recoop what i have in that programmer or box setup. Never did i say running a stack is better than a well written tune so if your going to quote me don't add to what I said. I understand the readings of the egt's or boost can and will be different from a mechanical gauge to a digita gauge that gets its info from a box. I gave my opinion about the question asked thats it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,738 Posts
timing was usually the issue with stacking, you will get some nasty injector knock if you go too high with one or the other. as said some stacks work better than others as well as some trucks. one stack on one truck may be different than it is on the other. my opinion because i ran it for a year+ was the PPE hot +2 ET. great tune, i ran on the hot tune all the time and towed, daily drove, and raced it. got 23mpg on the highway to boot
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top