• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my stacks and got them put on after a lot of thought on how to make the box and where to put them, well I got them and and I love the way they look and most people that have a diesel or are around them a lot like them also, one guys even said it was the best lookin truck with stacks around and there quite a few dodges runnin stacks around here. I understand that everybody has there own oppinion but there been quite a few people that dont like them, some say there to close and most of them have been criticizing the box we made and how high it sets off the bed, and a few have swore up and down to me that the box is way to small, its 6X3 square tubing, wouldnt that flow about the same as a 4" pipe maybe even a little more. I dont know why its bothering me, like one of my friends said im the one drivin it so if im happy thats all that matters, and thats true, Im just wonderin if Iv just got bad taste or somthin, so I thought Id see what all of you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Not my favorite look BUT its FAR from teh worst I've seen.

I have to agree with the folks on the flow of your box, not seeing it being very good. There is more to flow charateristics than just volume numbers based solely on cross-sectional area.

Overall, you haven't done bad IMO. I'm also thinking of doing stacks and will likely go with the box style cross pipe for cost and ease as opposed to great flow. I WILL eventually use pipe and a proper "y" pipe when proper funds allow.

I would like to meet up with you sometime and hear those though. Right now my biggest concern with stacks is interior noise and resonance. Whatcha doin this weekend? Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

C-ya

·
Registered
167 Posts
I Like The Idea Of Stacks But I Would Not Want To Use Any Room In My Bed. Yours Look Pretty Cool But I Like Them Better If They Were Farther Apart In The Corners Of The Bed. I Guess You Dont Need To Worry To Much About The Room In Your Bed Because Oyou Got A Long Box But I Have A Short Box And Need All The Room That I Have.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well from lookin at the poll so far I might not have the best taste in the world:rolleyes: , oh well, they'll look better when there filled with smoke :D , Iv got some pretty big plans for the truck in the very near future, main reason for wantin the stacks. Im hopin by the time spring gets here to have one of the best runnin 6 speeds around.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
chevy... PM me so we can see about meeting up. I would really love to hear those. I'm going with 5" straight cuts in the corners. Yours can't be TOO much louder than what I am going for.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't like the square box thing. Maybe that should have been under the bed. Stacks look too close together IMO.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not a bad job, not really the look I would have chose but its your truck and you got what you wanted and the way you wanted it, so it really don't matter what others think. It does look like some restriction into the box though. I went with the Grand Rock kit. I paid $370 for the kit with stacks. Have you figured out what it cost you, time and money? Well good luck making the sky black. Theres better pics of mine in my garage!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish I Had Stacks !!!!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a bad job, not really the look I would have chose but its your truck and you got what you wanted and the way you wanted it, so it really don't matter what others think. It does look like some restriction into the box though. I went with the Grand Rock kit. I paid $370 for the kit with stacks. Have you figured out what it cost you, time and money? Well good luck making the sky black. Theres better pics of mine in my garage!

Iv got about 350 in them, 130 a piece for the stacks, 20 somthin for both adapters, 20 for flex pipe, and 40 somthin for shipping and i give 11 bucks for the square tubing, as bad as i hate to admit it egt's are just a tad bit higher, my dad is pretty good at weldin so he made the box for me and put quite a bit of time in it, its my fault for it bein to small. there a place around here that rebuilds trucks and i was there today and he had a dodge with 5" stacks and it had the kit, no box just pipe, im gonna call tomm and see if i can get them and thern sell the stacks and just use what i need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
was it hard??

did u guys do the install on those stacks ........ how hard was it ??....they look nice ....but the inside look of them not to sure about it ... maybe u can do something to hide the look on the inside... i dont know im a welder fabricator, that look just not to good.....maybe add some custom tool box Insulated for the heat .......over all it looks tough . let me know how dificult it was to install.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As bad as I hate to admit it my box is a bit to small, I can hit 1000* a lot quicker than I use to could and I was expecting egts would go down not up. As for the looks of my box Im thinking about taking it out and cutting the bottom out of it and extending it down 3 more inches, so it would be 6x6, or would that be to big? Then Im gonna take some stainless and make a box so you wont even be able to see the box, but not for that reason, mainly to keep from starting a fire, i sometimes get hay and gray in the back of the truck and I need something to keep stuff off of it. As Iv said before im happy with it and thats all that matters but Id like to have something that other people like to, so what is it that most of you dont like besides my box.

Box might look something like this after I add 3 more inches to the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I would have to agree that re-doing the box will help with the EGT issues. The 3 in is restricive IMO 6 inches will definately help it breath better.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did u guys do the install on those stacks ........ how hard was it ??....they look nice ....but the inside look of them not to sure about it ... maybe u can do something to hide the look on the inside... i dont know im a welder fabricator, that look just not to good.....maybe add some custom tool box Insulated for the heat .......over all it looks tough . let me know how dificult it was to install.

The install wasnt bad, it was getting everything welded up and ready to go in was the hard part.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As bad as I hate to admit it my box is a bit to small, I can hit 1000* a lot quicker than I use to could and I was expecting egts would go down not up. As for the looks of my box Im thinking about taking it out and cutting the bottom out of it and extending it down 3 more inches, so it would be 6x6, or would that be to big? Then Im gonna take some stainless and make a box so you wont even be able to see the box, but not for that reason, mainly to keep from starting a fire, i sometimes get hay and gray in the back of the truck and I need something to keep stuff off of it. As Iv said before im happy with it and thats all that matters but Id like to have something that other people like to, so what is it that most of you dont like besides my box.

Box might look something like this after I add 3 more inches to the bottom.

How close together are the stacks? Most people place them as wide as possible. Because of my flatbed my stacks should be even with the body door molding (still in the bed).

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There about 2ft apart, I got the idea from a dodge I saw at the TS performance open house last year, something differnt and I thought it looked pretty cool

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If I had to guess, your cross pipe is what people are turned off most about. The spacing is no big deal, not all would put them like that but that isn't what is "ugly" about it to most, I would guess.

If that crosspipe gets fixed and you hide it, I think people will take a liking to your setup and think it rocks, if for nothing else, just for being a bit different.

Don't sweet it so bad, just be glad to be stacked and rolling the coal through them.

C-ya

·
Registered
373 Posts
No kiddin chevy! You did the the stacks the way that you wanted them right? If they came out with the look you were going for than it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.