Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 93 6.5TD. Everything is stock. It looks like it has a 4 inch exhaust and I don't see a muffler or cat, but it is quiet. The pipe exits the right rear. I am going to install a 4 inch flex bend where the bed starts and up through the bed into a single 5 inch stack. If it looks bad with that large of a stack I may change it to a 4 inch stack.

What I am wondering is if I will need some back pressure? If so, will a straight through muffler create enough back pressure to keep things good with the engine and turbo? The air box is stock and everything else is stock.

I would like a little more sound and to reduce egt. I am not interested in smoke or excessive awful noise. Just deeper sound, nice looks of a stack and lower egt's. This truck runs very good and I see no existing muffler or cat. It is quiet and I am surprised.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. (Ohio does not emission test)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The turbo creates more than enough back pressure for the engine by itself. The turbo also muffles the engine so a muffler may not even be necessary depending on how loud or quiet you want your truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that sounds great. I appreciate your help with that.
Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the 4" stack. It does not need a muffler as it is not loud. I added an after market cone filter on the intake to the turbo and now I can hear the turbo. I love the chrome stack and pulling out the air box and just going with the cone filter.

256,000 miles and still running great. I did have to replace the DB2-4911 fuel injection pump about 3 years ago. It was getting hard to start and I was experiencing power loss going up mountains.

I look forward to summer. I have some maintenance items I need to take care of.

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
I went with the 4" stack. It does not need a muffler as itThanks for is not loud. I added an after market cone filter on the intake to the turbo and now I can hear the turbo. I love the chrome stack and pulling out the air box and just going with the cone filter.

256,000 miles and still running great. I did have to replace the DB2-4911 fuel injection pump about 3 years ago. It was getting hard to start and I was experiencing power loss going up mountains.

I look forward to summer. I have some maintenance items I need to take care of.
Thanks for giving an update on this

:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts