Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting the 4" exhaust system from SSDiesel with out the cat. What the pro and cons on leaving the cat off? Any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Pro - less restriction.....

Con - might be against the law in your State....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
chrisk1500;1558078; said:
Pro - less restriction.....

Con - might be against the law in your State....
Also....

Pro - sounds better, turbo spools faster

If its against your state emission laws....there always......ummm.....accidentally and unknowingly bashing out the center of the cat, making it hollow and reinstalling.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's noticeably louder without the cat too. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on your taste.

Major improvement in flow though. The cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, especially if there are more than 100k miles on it and it may be plugged up with soot. Noticed a big improvement when I got rid of mine.

You can always replace the cat with a new one. Several aftermarket companies make replacement diesel cats in 3 and 4" sizes. So I would ditch the cat, and if you find you need one later for emissions or noise reasons, you can always add a new one in easily.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pros sounds great. Thats for the advice guys!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Va Beach...just moved from Norfolk! Anyway, I just went through this same dilemma, and being from VA it IS illegal to run without a cat, diesel or gas. But since most inspection places dont care....you may be able to get awat with it. It is illegal here in CO where I am, and since emissions is a visual AND exhaust fume test applied I cant fib. SSD sells the cat kit that IS high flow, so it will tone down the sound but still give you better flow. My truck had 120k when I got rid of the stock exhaust, and believe me the cat needed to be replaced, it was packed full of soot. If money is the concern...install now and have the cat added later, I didnt want to mess with it twice. I had a muffler shop hang it for 100$ they had to trim the downpipe a bit but it looks good and performs even better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.