Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From previous posts, there seems to be debate about whether the stock air intake box or an induction system like SS Diesel offers is best.

Keeping in mind that an "and and under the hood" induction system will draw warm/hot air, could the increased airflow offset the negative effects of temp to be better than the stock setup?

I am planning on the 4" exhaust system, and figured increased intake would be appropriate.

Does anyone run the aftermarket induction systems, and what are the results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Any anecdotal information on hot weather performance would be welcomed. It gets toasty here in the desert in summer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I suspect that with lower boost numbers, the cone air filter will give better performance. Add hot ambient air and higher boost and your intake temperatures will rise. Performance will fall off accordingly.

I'd really like to see some dyno sheet comparisons so that we can have a conclusive answer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i think im going to tape a digeital thormometer to the side of my stock air box about where the after market intake would be and see what kind of temps i get. when you are moving down the road there is alot of air flow under the hood and im starting to doubt that the temps are really that high.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
that will be interesting to see. then move the thermometer to the outside of the intake box (as if you had the cone filter) and see what your temp readings are. The reading that's going to show the biggest actual difference, is that of you air intake temp sensor (since as boost pressure builds, the air heats up)

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I don't want to sound like a dick guys but I don't even think it's worth the effort. We're all looking for more power AND longevity here and under the hood is not a cool environment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
best way

The best way to solve the problem is to get air induction outside the engine compartment.

In my old 5.7 gasser we took and put a straight 3" piece of pvc to the front of the truck. We were able to drill a 3" hole in the radiator frame without problems.

In my 6.5 diesel I am routing a 2" pipe out to the front of the truck so as to suck good cold air. I will post pics when I get it done.

Have several mods coming like cooling upgrade, 4" exhuast, chip, deep tranny pan. Can't wait to get them in.:muahaha:

·
Registered
684 Posts
i've got some dryer ducting directing air from my bumper's grill up into my fender to get more of the cool air into there so the airbox has a cooler supply, don't know if it helped but in my mind it couldn't hurt...:think:

·
Registered
943 Posts
In the duramax forums there is about a gazillion pages of air cleaner talk, fighting, arguing, debate, etc etc and etc. They have arranged sophisticated tests, even talked with manufacturers who basically admit that their performance air filters offer precisely 0% increase in horsepower, but cleverly disguised in some slick advertizing hype.

The aftermarket air filters all allow more dirt into the engine than the OEM pleated paper filter, and the OEM filter provides the duramax with more air than the highest modded engine can ever possibly suck in.

I don't know how this compares to the 6.5, but can't imagine there to be too much difference.

Some can hear the turbo better, and the aftermarket filters are mostly washable, so cheaper in the long run, if you don't mind the extra dirt.

Me, I think I'll stick with the OEM, minus the snorkel.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
And that, in a nutshell, is why I went back to my stock air filter (from K&N) and I will only run a bigger, or different, one when I can do it with paper.

·
Registered
231 Posts
been running the s&s on the 99 tahoe with westers programming and jk exhaust since last summer-ish. modified stock airbox was too restrictive and sucked the filter-minder in each time foot went more than 3/4-way to the floor.

had planned to make a custom set-up including moving the battery to the fender well and mounting the new filter up front. but the s&s was too easy, fast and inexpensive.

top end performance is greatly enhanced, low end response is noticeably better. fuel economy seems to have improved slightly. turbo whistle is very noticeable and sounds great, especially combined with kenedy's exhaust.

i recommend it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm kindda torn, but leaning towards going with an aftermarket open element.

The two biggest drawbacks to the open element are:

1 - Draws hotter engine compartment air
2 - Doesn't filter quite as well as the OEM paper element

While I'm not going to argue that these 2 drawbacks do exist, I'm not convinced they make a significant difference.

With regards to the first issue, the only time you'll have significantly higher intake temps is while in stop and go traffic and there is minimal underhood airflow. Does anyone really care if they are missing power in stop and go traffic? Cruising down the highway at 50 MPH+, the underhood intake temps are probably the same as ambient air temps, and that's when you want power. I've run an open air element on a '96 Contour V-6, and put 130k miles on it with that air filter. It was positioned the same as our trucks: drawing underhood air. It made a very noticeable improvement in power, and was one of the best mods I did to the car.

The second issue I think isn't significant, provided you change your oil at 3-5k intervals. While there have been tests that show these aftermarket filters don't filter as much dirt out, the dirt that does get through is very small, probably not that damaging (if at all), and gets mostly filtered out of the oil by the oil filter. Running one of these filters on my '96 Contour for 130k miles, the engine still didn't burn any oil after 130k, and ran perfectly. If there was any additional dirt getting past that filter, it certainly wasn't causing any damage.

Based on my experience with these filters on previous cars, I think I will try one on my Suburban. Even if it does nothing other than improve the turbo sound, it will be worth it to me.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
The aftermarket air filters all allow more dirt into the engine than the OEM pleated paper filter, and the OEM filter provides the duramax with more air than the highest modded engine can ever possibly suck in.

I don't know how this compares to the 6.5, but can't imagine there to be too much difference.

Some can hear the turbo better, and the aftermarket filters are mostly washable, so cheaper in the long run, if you don't mind the extra dirt.
From multiple oil sample results, the silica content with both my old K&N and the Amzoil air filter I'm running now show no problems with "excess dirt", I do like the sound of the turbo spooling up. But I also run bypass oil fitration, maybe it pulls the dirt I'm supposedly getting from the free flow air filters. Probably no best answer as indicated earlier, Banks included the K&N with my stinger kit, they are pretty savvy about performance and also prety conservative about recommending some change that would be detrimental to your engine.

As far as pulling in air from under hood, I'm of the opinion that anything that jacks up the temp even a little is bad; especially in a Diesel from 6.2/6.5 engine family which isn't the least bit tolerant of extra heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts