Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall just wondering if this is a good warranty that I can get if I buy the 1500 with the 6.5td. it has 120k miles on it and its a 97.
:)

Warranty coverage is good in the continental United States at any repair facility of your choice including Franchise Dealer service. Warranty's are issued by C.A.R.S. (Complete Automotive Repair Services) Protection Plus Inc and underwritten in Texas by Travelers Insurance.
All plans include Rental Reimbursement, Towing, 24 Hour Emergency Road Side Assistance, and Trip Planning Services.
Coverage has a $100 deductible per covered component, service contract is transferable to subsequent vehicle owner on payment of a one time $99 transfer fee.
All coverage is for unlimited mileage for the duration chosen, 6 Month, 1, 2, 3 or 4 years from date of sale.
Prices are as follows:
6 Month - $795.00
1 Year - $1,195.00
2 Year - $1,595.00
3 Year - $1,795.00
4 Year - $1,995.00

COVERED COMPONENTS (Click for Quick Link to Section Topic):
ENGINE
TRANSMISSION
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
SUSPENSION[/URL]
DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY
SEALS GASKETS & FLUIDS
STEERING COMPONENTS
BRAKE COMPONENTS
AIR CONDITIONING
COOLING SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS
LABOR
RENTAL BENEFITS
TOWING
24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
TIRE HAZARD
TRIP SERVICES[/B]

COVERED COMPONENTS

ENGINE
All internally lubricated parts: Engine block, cylinder head(s), intake manifold, exhaust manifold, pistons, piston rings, wrist pins, connecting rods and rod bearings, crank-shaft and main bearings, camshaft and bearings, timing chain and gears, valve covers, rocker arms, shafts and bushings, valves, valve springs, seats and guides, valve push rods, hydraulic valve lifters, oil pump, oil pan, fly wheel and fuel pump. Seals and gaskets, with the exception of cylinder head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets, are covered only in conjunction with the covered repair. Cylinder head and manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. Coverage limited to above components.[/SIZE][/FONT]

TRANSMISSION
Automatic Transmission. All Internally lubricated parts including bands, pump, pump housing, carrier assembly, planetary gears, drums, reaction shaft, governor, valve body, servo assemblies. Torque converter, transmission housing, transfer unit 4x4 case only if damaged as a result of mechanical failure of the above parts. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above components.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
All internally lubricated parts including: main shaft, counter shaft, all gears, input shaft, hub assemblies, synchronizers, shift rails, shift fork, and internal transmission bearings. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above components. A manual clutch is not covered.

SUSPENSION
Springs only if broken. Ball joints. Spindle and spindle support. Coverage limited to above components.

DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY
All internally lubricated parts: Front or Rear Drive axle housing and all internal parts, pinion bearings, wheel bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion, side gears, spider gears and case, thrust washers and spacers, housing only when damaged by an internally lubricated component that is covered by this contract, drive shaft, universal joints, and front constant velocity joints. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair. Coverage limited to above components.

SEALS, GASKETS & FLUIDS
All seals, gaskets, and fluids are covered when required in conjunction with the replacement of a covered component. Head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. Coverage limited to above components.

STEERING COMPONENTS
Internally lubricated parts contained within the steering gear box and pump housing, including: high pressure lines, rack and pinion, steering box and pump housings, if damaged by the failure of internally lubricated components. Coverage limited to above components.

BRAKE COMPONENTS
Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers also all components of the anti-lock brake system, except drums, rotors, pad and linings. Coverage limited to above components.

AIR CONDITIONING
Compressor, clutch, condenser, dryer, accumulator and evaporator. (Exclusions: Any component failure due to contamination of specified manufactured refrigeration oil, recharge and evacuation of system. System conversion from freon to other chemicals). Coverage limited to above components.

COOLING SYSTEM
Electric fan motor, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and gasket. Coverage limited to above components.

ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS
Starter motor, solenoid and drive assembly, alternator, generator, and voltage regulator, front and rear window wiper motor, power window motor, power seat motor and power door actuators. Coverage limited to above components.

LABOR
The labor charges shall be based on the current Mitchell�s labor guide and hourly rate will be based on the ships accepted flat rate to repair or replace the covered component in question not to exceed $70.00 dollars per hour labor.

RENTAL BENEFITS
You will be given twenty-five dollars ($25) per eights hours of flat rate time based on the Mitchell�s labor guide to repair or replace a covered component with a maximum of three hundred dollars ($300). This does not include down time due to ship negligence or availability of parts.

TOWING
Should your vehicle be in the need of a tow due to the fact that a covered component has failed, towing is covered to the nearest qualified repair center, up to a maximum of fifty dollars ($50).

24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
When towing is necessary, the member�s disabled vehicle will be towed to any location requested by the member. Roadside assistance also included for: battery service/jumpstart, flat-tire, fuel, oil, and water delivery, and lockout assistance. Coverage is provided up to $50 per occurrence to the covered vehicle only.

TIRE HAZARD PROGRAM
For the term of the contract, provides reimbursement up to $20.00 per incident for the repair of a flat tire damaged by a Road Hazard*. If the tire is non-repairable and has more than 3/32nds of tread depth remaining, it will be replaced with a comparable new tire up to a maximum benefit of $100.00 per incident. A contract maximum benefit of $400.00 applies.

TRIP SERVICES
Get professional and accurate trip routing assistance.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
It's an insurance policy. A few things to keep in mind:

Where would you have your vehicle serviced? Do they collect directly from the CARS? Or do you have to pay the mechanic and try to collect from CARS on your own?

Around here, $70/hr is too low to cover labor. Will it cover labor costs where you are?

From what I learned from my uncle (he was the service manager at a Ford dealership), aftermarket warranties are difficult to collect on. They say that they cover everything listed, but then they have a list of exclusions.
Most common exclusion is rust/corrosion. If a part that failed has any rust on it they company will argue that it failed due to rust (regardless if this is true or not).

I would try to find out as much as possible about how the claims process works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im gonna call the chevy dealer tomarrow and talk to them. I was already thinking about acouple of those things....I was just wondering if yall think its worth it in the parts that it does cover. ill find out more anyone else have an opinoin?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I don't see anything about a turbo nor fuel injection, those are the big hitters for us 6.5 guys, rest you can fix yourself with a little help from guys that hang around these parts, save the $$ for upgrades

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
As with all insurance, you pay them, or the you pay the others. Insurance companies don't lose a nickel on coverages. If you came up with a spreadsheet, and max out most peoples coverages (I'm mainly talking about the medical field here, it is to the penny coverage depending upon if you want to pay a little or a lot per month. You roll the dice on either paying garunteed the amount of money for the insurance, or taking the risk yourself and do the "wait and see" if it breaks.

If you stash that amount of money for the insurance coverage in your own interest bearing account, at the end of four years, there's a chance that you will be money ahead a least.

I did not see ANYTHING listed here, unless I missed it about the fuel system (Injection pump runs about $1000 +/- a few hundred depending upon sources.) Plus head gasket failures are the other problems with these vehicles depending upon how they are run.

If you do your own work, KEEP THE MONEY. If you outsource your repairs, then you may toy with the insurance idea, but it doesn't look like this policy covers the big ticket items on the 6.5. It's all a gamble. Hold 'em or fold 'em.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nothing about injection system so I can guarantee that they will not cover it, and since the most common prob is fuel I wouldn't waste the money. Most after market warranty are pretty consistent at denying coverage even for covered components, they will almost always cite an uncovered item as the problem or causing the problem and you are left with nothing.

If you are capable of doing your own wrench turning with the combined wisdom of others here on the site you would be better off doing so, and just get AAA for emergency roadside assistance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Obviously the company is making money by selling warrantees. Other wise they wouldn't sell them. That tells me that 9 out of 10 times, it will be in my financial best interest to not buy the warrantee, but to fix it out of pocket and save my money. Ocasionally I run into a situation where buying an extended warrantee would have paid off, but not often.
I kind of laugh at how the salesman will be praising the product(car, dishwasher, whatever...) saying how good it is, then he tries to sell all kinds of extra "protection" for it. If you've got to spend that kind of money to protect yourself from the vehicle, maybe it's not such a good deal...
Like was mentioned earlier, you'd be better off taking the money you would have spent on the warranty, put it in a savings account, and spend it on repairs only when needed. I'd be willing to bet at the end of the 4 years you'll be ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts