Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 GMC Duramax Extended Cab last November, however, a squeak has developed recently that is driving me crazy!!! The squeak is coming from the extended cab door on the drivers side and squeaks on every bump or imperfection on the road!!! Has anyone else had this problem? How did you do to get rid of it? My wife tells me to take it back to the dealer and let them work it out.

I would appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
My 01 had a squeak it was an extended cab. That is part of the reason I went to a crew cab. It is a lot more solid. The way the truck would twist backing out of my driveway drove me absolutely nuts.

I would consider taking it back to the dealer. You might also want to try lubricating the weather stripping. Might help a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on your 2001. I was going to apply petroleum jelly to the rubber weather stripping, however, the wife recommended I take it back to the dealer. I don't know if I can bear the squeaks until Saturday, though!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
MY truck does it also. I took my truck in and they thought they fixed it. Nope, what I found on mine is that the Bully Bars and the Bed rails are the cause. I can hit the side of my truck as I walk down the side of it and the squeek is coming from there.

I also tightened the supports brackets in my rear fenders and that helped a little. But in my case I am pretty sure it is from the bedrails and Bully bars. So I guess I will replace the bed rails first since they are cheaper.

I see you are from Plano. Just FYI Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine has a great service department. If you need anything my service advisor is a man named Kim and he really takes good care of people. They also have certified diesel mechanics.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Could be the seat belt. Son-Of-A-Gun will keep the seals soft and clean. Later! Frank

·
Banned
394 Posts
welcome to the world of american made cars.......only way to fix is to trade for rice rocket

·
Registered
511 Posts
duramaxdiesel said:
My seatbelt is driving me nuts!!!  Everytime I move it squeaks.  Any way to fix this?

The seatbelt on my 2000 Silverado started squeaking right after I had bought it. I just took a can of WD-40 & used the small red "straw" extension to reach in & lube up both sides of the seatbelt reel. It only takes a little bit. Pull the seatbelt in & out a few times to let it work itself in. Mine never squealed again after that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spray the top and bottom latch mechanism of the back doors with silicon spray. Mine used to do it, i spray periodically havent had any squeeks since. also GM recomends using silicon on the weatherstripping as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dielectric silicone grease works wonders on the gaskets and weather stripping.

Kevin

·
Registered
817 Posts
My father in laws 02 had the same problem. I took the rear door panel off and found that one of the keepers was missing. We pulled one from a different location (A piller as a recall) and put the door back together with all the clips. All quiet ever since. He dropped by the dealer and they gave him another clip (after the explanation) to put the A-pillar back on. Silicone spray will also work well on weather strip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jeff1 said:
I was going to apply petroleum jelly to the rubber weather stripping
You'll regret that decision, because not only is petroleum jelly destruction for rubberized weather stripping, it will also attract dirt faster then a pizza attracts dieters at a Weight Watchers convention!

What Fireman said is true; dielectric silicone grease is the best. Or any kind of silicone grease for that matter, because that won't become tacky and attract dirt (it's a "dry" lubricant).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Max Power said:
That is part of the reason I went to a crew cab. It is a lot more solid.
You must have gotten a better CC then I did, because my truck creaks and groans more then my knees do!
Edited by: JimWilson

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the posts!!...I contacted the dealer today and was told by the service manager that I only need to apply armor-all to the rubber weather stripping. I didn't get around to applying the petroleum jelly...(I didn't really like that idea, anyway, desparation I suppose). The silicone spray sounds like a real winner if the armor all does'nt work.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
deadfurrow thanks for the tip. I used the WD-40 and the squeaks are gone now.

Now, is there a remedy for keeping the old lady quiet so I can listen to the sweet sound of my Dmax
?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts