Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever had this noise before? I can hear it the best under the truck. It’s a 2018 Chevy 2500. I have sprayed the belt with some PB Blaster to see if it makes a difference and no change. Thanks

·
Administrator
19,913 Posts
I would recommend that you change the belt. PB blaster is a penetrating solvent and will degrade rubber.
I suspect your tensioner pulley bearing or idler bearing to be making that noise... not your belt

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax
59 Posts
I agree with Ok, it’s most likely one of your pulleys on the front of the engine. Did the PB blaster make the noise worse?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would recommend that you change the belt. PB blaster is a penetrating solvent and will degrade rubber.
I suspect your tensioner pulley bearing or idler bearing to be making that noise... not your belt
I can hear it the best from under the truck. I can hear it a little through the grill. If I open the hood I can’t hear it at all up top. I also read that the harmonic balancer can rub against the timing cover so I sprayed some pb blaster on it I hope I didn’t hurt the crank seal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OkDually is most likely correct it’s the tensioner pulley or the idler pulley.
What are the odds that I hurt the front crank seal when I sprayed the harmonic balancer with PB Blaster because I had read they can rub against the timing cover.

·
Administrator
19,913 Posts
What are the odds that I hurt the front crank seal when I sprayed the harmonic balancer with PB Blaster because I had read they can rub against the timing cover.
All you can do at this point is to monitor for leaks...

·
Administrator
19,913 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be hard to say...
I replaced both idler pulleys and the tensioner and the chirp is still there. The belt didn’t come in yet so it’s still running the same belt. I have talked with several people on different forums and there’s does it as well. Would really like to know what it is. It sounds like it’s coming from the harmonic balancer there is a TSB about it sliding back and rubbing the timing cover but that is for the 19 and 20 models I have an 18.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
However, just cuz '18 2500 wasn't covered by tsb doesn't mean it can't happen to one....

17-19 2500/3500HD have same drivetrain.

Are you still covered under 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this exact sound coming from my 2018 L5P. I have a big thread in duramax forum It was a cam shaft bearing that failed due to a defect. Ended up with a new engine warrantied from GM.

Pop off your accessory belt and then start your truck. I am willing to bet it still makes the same noise.

Here was a video of my engine my noise.

·
Administrator
19,913 Posts
I had this exact sound coming from my 2018 L5P. I have a big thread in duramax forum It was a cam shaft bearing that failed due to a defect. Ended up with a new engine warrantied from GM.

Pop off your accessory belt and then start your truck. I am willing to bet it still makes the same noise.

Here was a video of my engine my noise.
- YouTube
Your video is set to private and will not show.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts