Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck about a week & a half now & this just started a couple days ago:

In the morning, the serpentine belt (I assume) squeaks a lot until the truck has been driven a while - then it goes away until you park for a very long time (enough to let the truck cool down) and restart.

Not a major issue, I was thinking about hitting it with some soapy water or belt dressing, but I've never had a truck or other vehicle that developed this symptom so quickly. Should I be concerned with checking a tensioner somewhere?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was just about to post the same thing. Mine seems to do it all the time though. Does anyone know if there is a Gatorback belt for the LLY, I know this quieted my camaro down alot.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine did it the first few days I had it. My guess was; The paint on the pullys had caused the noise and once it had worn off it stopped. Not a peep out of her now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine does it too. It sounds like I have a Cricket under the hood until it warms up. Mine only happens when the AC Pump is not turning. When It engages, It goes quiet. Then when the pump stops, The cricket is back. It is over at the dealer as we speak. I will let you know the results.

There is another squeak when I shut off the truck. It sounds like the belt slips at the last second. GM has a bulliten out on that one. They say it is because The Crank pulley stops so fast, (because of engine compression) That the belt slips for half a second. GM says it is "Normal". I say that is Bull S#!T!!! Every time GM seems to have a "Problem" they can't, or Don't want to fix They just say it is "Normal". This reminds me of the piston slapping noise on the GM Gasser 6.0!!! It is only "Normal" because GM has the "Problem" on most of the ones they make. As you can see it kind of pisses me off that they won't just fix their problems and admit they are wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this belt noise problem with my new LLY also. I thought I had a bad pulley bearing. When I took it in, the service writer said it was a glazed belt and that it was probably due to when they cleaned the engine for delivery. They put a new belt on it and I have'nt had a problem with it since.

There was another guy in there with the same problem. By definition, if this happens enough it will be normal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gspears said:
I had this belt noise problem with my new LLY also. I thought I had a bad pulley bearing. When I took it in, the service writer said it was a glazed belt and that it was probably due to when they cleaned the engine for delivery. They put a new belt on it and I have'nt had a problem with it since.

There was another guy in there with the same problem. By definition, if this happens enough it will be normal.

Did your truck make this noise all the time, or just in the morning when it was cold?

I've noticed mine really only does it in the morning, or sometimes after it's been parked for several hours.

Problem is - it quiets down after it's warmed up, so it would sound fine by the time I got to the dealer... one of those things...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Whatever you do guys, don't put belt dressing on your serpentine belt. It will build up in the grooves and, well, you can guess what will happen over time.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
LLY DMAX said:
There is another squeak when I shut off the truck. It sounds like the belt slips at the last second. GM has a bulliten out on that one. They say it is because The Crank pulley stops so fast, (because of engine compression) That the belt slips for half a second. GM says it is "Normal". I say that is Bull S#!T!!! Every time GM seems to have a "Problem" they can't, or Don't want to fix They just say it is "Normal". This reminds me of the piston slapping noise on the GM Gasser 6.0!!! It is only "Normal" because GM has the "Problem" on most of the ones they make. As you can see it kind of pisses me off that they won't just fix their problems and admit they are wrong.

My grandfather's '97 Dodge Cummins does the same thing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
OK Here is the latest on the Cold start Cricket noise... The dealer looked and listned and they think it is an Idler Pulley that is underneath the AC compressor. They ordered some parts that should be here in a week or so. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's just under 800 miles right now. I'll keep and eye on it, and this thread.

Gar

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have used Permatex spray belt dressing on every truck since 89. It absolutely works and does not build up in the groves. It does not collect dirt either. I have stopped several squeaks for friends. I use it each time I service the engine. Later! Frank

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had the exact problem with my 94 S-10 (4.3L). I had the serpentine belt replaced twice only to see (hear) the problem (noise) come back(mornings only). The new belt would be noiseless for about 10000 miles and the squeel would reappear. About 60,000 miles ago I replaced it with goodyear gatorback (maybe gatorbelt) (it was a few more dollars than stock belt) and the squeel never reappeared. The only difference I could see in the belt design was the gatorbelt had many more ridges on the internal part of belt. Nonethe less, the problem my S-10 had for years disappeared and has never returned!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Put me in for one morning cricket too. Soon as it warms its gone. Figure when I take it in for something I will mention it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I notice that my cricket comes out to play as soon as I accelerate. I thought it was a u-joint like the one I had to replace on my '01 2500HD. So what you guy's are saying is that it is a belt that is slipping?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've got the turn it off cricket. Shut it down and it chirps good bye to me. Grrrr

·
Registered
22 Posts
LLY DMAX wrote:

LLY DMAX,

This is not BullS#!T as you say...How many diesels have you had before this one?? This is NORMAL. I have been around diesel trucks for as long as I have been alive and I own and drive diesels everyday, all diesels do this. My dad is a ASE certified GM tech, certified diesel tech, and an old truck driver, and a diesel pickup owner as well, and he told me along time ago when I first started driving diesels and I asked the same question about the belt squeak at shutdown and he explained to me that the belts are turning at such a high rpm and diesel engine compression is so high that when the engine is shutdown it causes the belts to slip because of the compression. If you don't like what Gm techs tell you, you should sale your truck and buy a Ford or Dodge that will do the same thing, and they will tell you the same thing. Next time you are out if you get near a Turbo Cummins in a parking lot listen how loud the belt squeaks on them when the owner shuts them down. I am not trying to make you mad or act like a know it all & @$$hole but I am just trying to explain to you that this is true believe it or not. I know my ole' 6.5L Turbo does it almost, but not everytime I turn her off. Its just a Normal diesel characteristic.

Edited by: GMC Cowboy Cadilliac

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The squeak noise on mine is only in the morning - or after the truck has been parked for several hours. I was almost ready to take it to the dealer, but then I came to my senses. From what I can tell, it's just that - a squeak, probably from the serpentine belt. I'd rather not have the dealer poking around in there unless there's a serious concern.

No squeak when I turn the truck off however ... at least not yet. My brother's '95 Tacoma did the same thing when he first got it - after a while it just went away...

I'll give it a couple weeks - if it gets worse or the symptoms change I'll check it out then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, mine does the same thing. I used my stethesope to listen to all the componants and all I can figure is it's the belt. Chirp, chirp, chirp.

By the way, I thought i missed something on my stethescope tour so I just went out and looked; no pullys under the AC exept the PS. Listened again since I had it out, still in the belt. 875 miles so far. Let you guys know if it stops.

Mike

Edited by: laborer

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got my truck back from the dealer. They replaced the belt and one of the pulleys. Too soon to say if the Cold start Cricket is gone or not, (Because it was already warm). However the "chirp" when the truck it turned off is GONE, at least for now.

I guess if the Chirp comes back I will just keep getting new belts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning I just took a cup of water with a little dish soap and a sponge then hit the exposed parts of the belt - didn't even turn over the engine - just dampened the parts of the belt I could get to with the soapy sponge.

Dead silent.

We'll see if it lasts. My guess is, were there a problem with a pulley soapy water wouldn't have helped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts