Diesel Place banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a signal wire that goes to the pcm from the Optical/fuel temperature sensor on the top of the Injection pump. You can't see this information on a scan tool. by back probing this wire with the engine running you can monitor the output.

Terminal tension- basically make sure the male and female halves of the terminals in the connector are making good contact. best way is to take a male terminal and slide it into the female terminal, you should feel some resistance moving it in and out. and vice versa. you would need to check connection at any connector between sensor and pcm. As the filter was brought up this would mean at both ends of the filter and on the vehcle harness where the filter connects.

you will need a digital multimeter with the capability of measuring Htz output to monitor the high resolution signal from the Optical/fuel temperature sensor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Iceman,
I would be interested in knowing the particulars of the GM recommendation to add a fuel additive lubricant after replacing an Injection Pump. I just replaced my IP.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Uh, you You-Alls need to get right on that recommendation, esp with the ULSD fuels coming to a station near you...

Sort of looking like we Canucks have a little tiny bit more time before we start having to goop up our fuel... but even the stuff we have noe demands lubricant.

Best stuff is Stanadyne or Power Service, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
FPPF Total Power is what my preference is, basically any good additive is mandantory IMO with sulphur reductions, some say it won't hurt, but for my money risk is too great if we find out later they are wrong. I like Total Power as it adds lubricity-anti/gel-cetane-anti/water all in one formula, check out Kennedy's site he has it available in case lots.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hmmn Stanadyne makes the IP & sells it to GM, GM says use Stanadyne, just like the ONLY approved coolant is GM coolant, AC parts are the ONLY replacement parts worth using, etc...

Don't get me wrong Stanadyne is good stuff but not the ONLY additive that can be used, only negative reports using I've seen as being bad is earlier additives that were formulations with Alcohol. If you can find Stanadyne for price that meets or beats other quality additive get it, but if like myself where cost is a factor, there are alternatives other than Stanadyne.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
icemanbc;1424995; said:
you will need a digital multimeter with the capability of measuring Htz output to monitor the high resolution signal from the Optical/fuel temperature sensor.
Iceman, do you mean a frequency counter? Are you looking to measure the frequency of a signal? Usually abbrev. Hz.. That's why I ask.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
knkreb;1423484; said:
Might you still have the optical sensor filter harness attached to the top of the pump between the pump and the truck wiring harness? This is just a wild guess in the dark. When mine went intermittent it would fish-bite and out right miss. It would only do it when the engine was warm/hot. It would not code, I believe because it fell below the threshold of failure to actually "code." Once it finally screwed up enough to where it wouldn't run, it finally coded.

Just a wild guess, but a cheap one at that.
knkreb: Unplugged optical sensor and cranked truck. Had to turn her over several times but it cranked, ran a bit smoother, but still rough and didn't want to idle. SES light on. Plugged back up, truck cranked and ran rougher, SES light off. What, if anything does this mean, not sure :confused:.

I have purchased a new lift pump, but haven't installed. A local diesel mechanic suggested blowing out the fuel line back to the tank (from lift pump to tank) to see if the sock filter in tank is clogged. If I go to that trouble, I will likely replace the lift pump if I disconnect those lines. Still trying to determine if IP is bad.

Checked battery terminals again and fuses. All appear OK. Plan to clean grounds to engine (grasping for anything now).

Better half advised that when the truck first coughed bad with her that it blowed black smoke like a train. Hasn't necessarily done that with me that I have noticed. That occured when the problem first started showing up.

Anybody with any thoughts, especially if this sounds like IP troubles.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Guy,
Some DVMs have freq reading capability, but if you have access to frq counter would probably work as well.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
No, close, but no bannana....

If the filter harness is still in the circuit, attempt removing the FILTER, add-in plug between the IP connection and truck harness. Plug the truck harness directly into the IP.

Then re-experiment... sorry to confuse you.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Found this in one of Rigger's old posts optic sensor filter

Attachments

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Turbine Doc;1427433; said:
Guy,
Some DVMs have freq reading capability, but if you have access to frq counter would probably work as well.
Thanks TD. I'm spoiled at work where we use a freq. counter if that's what the job calls for. All our stuff is high buck, so I'm fascinated by hand held equipment that does all these functions but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Damn, some of our DMMs at work cost over $6,000.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts