Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night June, 23 2006 there will be a street truck pull @ the Robertson Co. Fairgrounds in Springfield,TN. There will be several weight classes for 4x4's only. I am getting more info as we speak, just giving a heads up. I can go ahead and say diesels can't run propane or nitro (but not illegal if so equipped), and $20 per hook. More rules are on the way. If you want to make a weekend out of it there is a sanctioned "Big" pull on the following Saturday...Super Stock and Modified tractors, 2 and 4wd trucks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Where is Springfield? I am over near Memphis and am willing to travel for a good hook!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Just a heads up, this is the weekend of IRP I believe.

C-ya

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is Springfield? I am over near Memphis and am willing to travel for a good hook!
Springfield is 20-30 minutes north of Nashville. Take I-40 from Memphis to 155 (Briley Pkwy), then over to I-24....OR 155 to I-65. You can go either way and follow the signs from there.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
626 Posts
thanks shep. Post the rules and such when you can get them together.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Jeez, that's an outlaw pull if I ever saw one.

Get a bottle, block the suspension solid, clamp your springs, hang front weights, and rock on! No charger rules at all, meaning there will potentially be twinned Dodges there.

If the rules are that loose, IMHO you're gonna get creamed. Just go and spectate. Don't smash your stuff.

I'd love to see the trucks in the 10,200 class....that would be about 2875# ballast in my truck....yeeeehaaaaaaaawwww!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez, that's an outlaw pull if I ever saw one.

Get a bottle, block the suspension solid, clamp your springs, hang front weights, and rock on! No charger rules at all, meaning there will potentially be twinned Dodges there.

If the rules are that loose, IMHO you're gonna get creamed. Just go and spectate. Don't smash your stuff.

I'd love to see the trucks in the 10,200 class....that would be about 2875# ballast in my truck....yeeeehaaaaaaaawwww!
Thanks for making my day :ro) !!! As you can tell this is might as well be "just for fun" or something of that nature, which is why I am doing it. And as far as twinned Goats...as far as I know no such beast is around these parts. The strongest truck around here are DMAX's, it is just that no one knows how to pull them. Everyone runs their T-Bars cranked up not knowing any better and then they get out pulled by a 2500HD 6.0 b/c that truck does not have the torque to trash some tie rods. The heavy class is ruled by Dually F(T)urds and Goats that probably only have a chip and exhaust. As far as I'm concerned, I would love to see any of the trucks on this site come to TN and put on a show b/c no one believes an IFS truck can pull...and I have told NO ONE about the Diesel Place for them to see that it CAN BE DONE!!! I will stress this point...This was set up to be kind of a grassroots thing. If someone comes in and dominates then so be it. I am doing this for fun b/c I have always wanted to and I will SHOCK everyone if I follow everyones advice and NOT BREAK! The light class is mostly 1/2 tons and some of them are short beds. My truck might sneak in the light class and if so I will pull in the first 2 classes. I already know no one can run any type of bottle, if you are twin screwed then come on down.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Well, OK, if you're still undeterred, and caution is out the window, then follow the advice given on the other thread.

I would block the rear suspension solid, but have a set with a 2" opening just in case the tech tells you "no." Throw these under the seat until you need 'em.

Get some spring clamps or fab your own. You'll be shocked at how much your rear diff can move.

Lower the t-bars as suggested and strap the front end tight. Have your sleeves on.

Do you have a hitch yet? Gonna need all 24". Make sure whatever you use, it's measured and set up AFTER you lower the front, block the rear, and add ballast. You'll be surprised how much it changes.

Get your big box and drive the truck like you stole it through at least twenty WOT takeoffs to get it shifting hard. Do NOT romp on it in 5th, just the 1-4.

Practice getting it in and out of low range.

Have a plan if your tranny fries.

And have fun.

There. Is that better?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing that will make it better is some guys coming down here to pull. I say down b/c it seems as if most everyone is from north of TN. One last thing. I don't know what you mean by spring clamps and if the tranny does fry then who do you suggest working on it or replacing it with?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Your tranny should be fine pulling in low range. I pulled many times with a big box and a stock tranny. Don't forget to put it in tow/haul!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
The only reason I caution you about the tranny is that with just my hot juice in the 125 setting, I could limp the thing at will in virtually any gear. And I didn't abuse it nearly as much as other people have. Each truck is different, though. Some get away with a lot, some don't.

I'm cautioning you because you appear to be a college student, and when I was in college, I didn't have squat, so I never would have done it. So, sorry for sounding like your dad. :eek::

If you go to get your tranny done, I would highly recommend Kyle and Matt at crankitupdiesel.com. Good guys and good work. The ATS is superb.

Spring clamps are (in the simplest case) two u-bolts that fit over the springs, with a bar that you tighten down to make the springs much more firm. I use a piece of 1.5" square tubing with holes drilled in them for the clamp. Mike Tomac's website (www.duramaxracing.com) shows a set as well. If you want to get into pulling seriously, you'll need heavy duty traction bars at some point.

·
Registered
626 Posts
SHEP,
I used some spring clamps that I made for a couple of years and they worked great. I don't really need them any more if you want pm me and I can mail them to you. I am trying to get some guys here to load up and head that way, only problem is that we have a local pull here the next night.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That must be what IRP is. Well I appreciate the offer on the clamps and I will pm you for my info. Hope you make it up here, if not then where is the pull on the 24th.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It is in Michigan City MS. Just south east of Memphis( about 30 minutes). If you or anyone else wants some directions let me know.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
do you happen to know the address of the fair grounds? i know how to get to springfield, just dont know where the place is. i looked at the link you posted and they didnt have the addy listed. imogo if i can (just to watch)! thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you happen to know the address of the fair grounds? i know how to get to springfield, just dont know where the place is. i looked at the link you posted and they didnt have the addy listed. imogo if i can (just to watch)! thanks for the info!
4635 Hwy 41 N, Springfield,Tn 37172.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
so from i-24, go east on 49 till i go past the courthouse being remodeled, down the big hill, take a left and its about a mile on the left or right ??????. does this sound like im close? lol thanks chris

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.