Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excluding Duallies, is there a reason why GM never made a Heavy Duty truck with a sport side (step side) bed? I have always loved the way the sport side 1500's look and my 2000 Z71 was a sport side. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe GM has ever produced a heavy duty with sport side. I just got to thinking about that today and was wondering if anyone can explain why to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
because most people who buy a heavy duty truck use them for hauling, and with a sportside box ther is less room in the box. just a guess.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was figuring too. I'm trying to see if anyone know the definate reason.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Cant you throw one from a 1/2 ton, on? Or are they physically different (size, and mounting wise)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
dont know about size but one around my hometown in Texas. Guy does lifts and stuff though so might be easier for him than the rest. Slick lookin truck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
But, why...:confused:
Because there's a lot of us that use our trucks as daily transportation. I never really haul anything bigger than some suitcases or car parts in mine. I tow semi-often, but my rig is primarily my hot rod daily driver.

I'd like to see one with a sportside on it to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because there's a lot of us that use our trucks as daily transportation. I never really haul anything bigger than some suitcases or car parts in mine. I tow semi-often, but my rig is primarily my hot rod daily driver.

I'd like to see one with a sportside on it to see what it looks like.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't think I'd ever pay the money to have a conversion done or anything, I would just like to see it. I don't even think GM makes sport side trucks anymore period. Yet another cutback by them.:badidea:

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I'm hauling stuff that is not for the boat it's usually no bigger than 4X8 such as sheets of plywood or sheetrock. Those fit very nicely in the back of a sport side, just like they fit between the wheel wells on a fleetside. The steps on the outside make it easier to get into the bed, but the design of the rails make it more difficult to put in a bed cover.
I've had no problems fitting three motorcycles in the 91 sportside gasser that I made the dealer swap beds whe I bought it new since they didn't make extended cabs with sportsides until 92 and those were few and far between.
My neighbor has a current generation step side (I think a 2000) but he's got his truck out of state right now so I don't know if they are the same size beds as the HD.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
There was a lifted CCSB 2500 circa '02 making the circuit in the 4WD magazines a few years back. It was Black with yellow to red flames on the hood sporting a sportside box...it can be done. IIRC, they mentioned that the mounting points had to be fabbed due to the differences between the LD and HD frame, but it was not terribly difficult.

I like my Duallie better though):h

·
Registered
77 Posts
JPW, no your not the lone ranger. A Sportside HD would be sweet. I'm with you guys I just like the looks of a Sportside bed over a Fleetside. My truck was bought as a daily driver and to tow my bassboat and would of been a Sportside if it had been offered.

Curious if one exists or has been put together. It may be a project a couple years down the road. Too many other goodies in the pipeline for that right now. :D

T

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sportsides are ugly-:t

Everybody has their own opinions I guess, but an HD sportside would not be a good idea. I just don't understand what the purpose of a sportside is?? Is it for looks, or are people really that lazy they need to step up to put something into the bed of their truck?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Everybody has their own opinions I guess, but an HD sportside would not be a good idea. I just don't understand what the purpose of a sportside is?? Is it for looks, or are people really that lazy they need to step up to put something into the bed of their truck?
To each their own :) . What is the purpose of aftermarket wheels? What is the purpose of having leather over cloth interior? Some people like chocolate and some people like vanilla. It's all about personal preferences and some people like sportside trucks. I don't know if it serves a purpose; it's just a different look from the fleetside.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Riddle me how I'm supposed to get the motorcycles out of the bed of the truck without getting into the bed of the truck? Or maybe I need to get out of the truck after loading an entertainment center that took two people to get into the truck. Or maybe I backed up to a loading dock to load and want to get into my cab instead of back on the loading dock.
Lazy? No. Sometimes it's smarter to go over the side instead of out the back.
Ugly? everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and like the saying goes "everyone's farts stink except your own"

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
like the saying goes "everyone's farts stink except your own"
Sometimes you can smell your own. Usually it is pretty bad!:eek:

I think the step sides look good on certain colors and with aftermarket equip.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
JPW, no your not the lone ranger. A Sportside HD would be sweet. I'm with you guys I just like the looks of a Sportside bed over a Fleetside. My truck was bought as a daily driver and to tow my bassboat and would of been a Sportside if it had been offered.

Curious if one exists or has been put together. It may be a project a couple years down the road. Too many other goodies in the pipeline for that right now. :D

T
Ahem...check here: http://dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=915585&postcount=11

·
Registered
279 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts