Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first spin on filter change and noticed a substantial amount of material stuck to the magnet. Is this a normal occurence or should I be concerned? Truck is an 05 sittin on 35's with an edge/attitude. I have limped 5th once.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
how many miles on it at time of change? You will get some as the trans breaks in so its normal. Be carefull with limping the tranny or start saving up for a built one.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The magnet will always have some black "dust" on it. Below is a photo of what I cleaned off my magnet at my second fluid changeout at 93K. By "substantial amount" are you referring to the volume of dust or chunks? There's a lot of metal-to-metal in the Ally and that's why the magnet is there. See photo below:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Spin-On filter should be changed around 7500 milesage max as per the booklet. Most do it more often.....around 5000. The filters dont cost much and cleaner fluid is better.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Did my Ally fluid change at 25K miles. I just use the same old dealer stuff ATF.

You should fill out your signature about you truck....very helpful for us you help with questions.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Plenty of people have gotten great service out of Dex III (factory recommended fluid). Many have gone to synthetics. Synthetics are superior for heat and if you are towing heavy or racing (although I do neither). I changed out my factory fluid with Amsoil synthetic ATF at 36000 miles. I changed it again at 92000 miles (the photo was on that change). I've changed my spin-on filter 6 times. I changed it at 2000 miles (break-in) didn't do it again for 34000 miles (when I replaced the fluid with synthetic). Now I've been changing it every 15000 miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thats exactly what I was thinking. 50 bucks isnt cheap in my books

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Or from an Allison dealer - NOT the CAR DEALER! We pay $10 (US) for them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts