Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1200 miles on my LLY and I am getting ready to change the spin on. I was wandering how much fluid is going to come out when I take off the filter. I thought it was on the side of the tranny but I see it is on the underside. I want to be prepared for the fluid. Any help from the vets?????????

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You'll need about a quart to top it up. No more.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
gman, there will be no real drainage when removed. You'll have the fluid in the filter and a few more ounces of "drippage." Just fill the new filter with clean ATF and you should not have to add any more fluid. Don't forget to remove, clean and reinstall the ring magnet on top of the filter. New filter should be turned one full turn after gasket contact.

·
Registered
145 Posts
gman,

I must comment on this as I have replaced mine recently on my 04 Dmax Ally. I did find the transmission fluid to continue to run out until I put the new filter on, not a tremondous amount but it continued a trickle drain for over 5 minutes during my filter replacment. Kind of funny it had stopped for a bit and when I was pre-filling the new filter and it began to trickle drain again until I screwed on the new filter ( glad I had a big pan underneath it). As Maxpower said it only took about 3/4 of a quart to top it back off.

Just my .02 FranEdited by: 04wanabemax

1 - 4 of 4 Posts