Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my spin on filter today, truck has been sitting two days in garage, lost very little fluid when I took the filter off and filter was full. I filled the new filter to the top and added what I thought that I lost when I first unscrewed it. Total fluid used after filling up the filter and what was put back in was a total of 1/4 of a quart. I can't get the trans. temp up high enough to check it because it is 15 deg. here. In the book it says temp needs to be 160-200 when checking hot. I got it up to about 125 and it was reading between the cold and the hot. what do you guys think?

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
if you worried that you could hanve shorted the trans a little fluid i think you are fine. wait till you get it warm and check it if your still concerned.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
jixxer;1572021; said:
Changed my spin on filter today, truck has been sitting two days in garage, lost very little fluid when I took the filter off and filter was full. I filled the new filter to the top and added what I thought that I lost when I first unscrewed it. Total fluid used after filling up the filter and what was put back in was a total of 1/4 of a quart. I can't get the trans. temp up high enough to check it because it is 15 deg. here. In the book it says temp needs to be 160-200 when checking hot. I got it up to about 125 and it was reading between the cold and the hot. what do you guys think?
I wouldn't worry about it, unless the difference of loss is over 8 ozs. or more. 4 or 6 ozs. loss won't make any harm.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Forget exact qty, but transhas 4-5 gal fluid in it. Last cpl filter changes, I haven't added any. Made no noticable difference in the fluid level. You're fine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You're fine. The Allison has a lot of capacity and a little short is better than an overfill. I can't get mine to that temp even in the summer. I have to be pulling a heavy load to get those temps.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I ran yesterday and the needle never came up, even had the winter cover on (grill)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts