Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a dumb question... but I have found all sorts of info on the drain and flush process, but is there any quick information on changing out the spin-on filter.. and magnet.... pictures would be great. :rolleyes:

Or Mackin's flush procedure with pics to help us nonmechanically inclined guys would be very helpful. :D

Storman22

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
storman22;1571901; said:
May be a dumb question... but I have found all sorts of info on the drain and flush process, but is there any quick information on changing out the spin-on filter.. and magnet.... pictures would be great. :rolleyes:

Or Mackin's flush procedure with pics to help us nonmechanically inclined guys would be very helpful. :D

Storman22
Remove the filter and magnet,clean the magnet,fill your new filter with the proper ATF,reinstall the magnet,tighten. DONE--No pics needed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup, I'm new to Allison's, but the convenience is great. The filter may be on a little snug from the factory.

·
Registered
400 Posts
cdent;1571962; said:
Yup, I'm new to Allison's, but the convenience is great. The filter may be on a little snug from the factory.

A Little? When I did my first oil change, allison spin on, and the Fuel filter changes, it was like King Kong itself was tightening these filters on the line! :wtf:
A good filter wrench may be needed.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
[email protected];1571924; said:
Remove the filter and magnet,clean the magnet,fill your new filter with the proper ATF,reinstall the magnet,tighten. DONE--No pics needed.
:exactly: Climb under the truck. Have your new filter ready, with a new xtra magnet on the filter. Change it when the truck is cold, and 5 minutes or less, it's done...

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
damn i feel stupid, i just had the dealer do it and now i cant tell if they put the magnent back on.
I'll check tomorow because it needs to go back anyhow... The drain plug for the oil is leaking pretty bad after my oil change. I tried to tighten it a lil and it's already tighter than heck now. I wonder if they stripped my oil pan :(

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Jasondt2001;1572324; said:
damn i feel stupid, i just had the dealer do it and now i cant tell if they put the magnent back on.
I'll check tomorow because it needs to go back anyhow... The drain plug for the oil is leaking pretty bad after my oil change. I tried to tighten it a lil and it's already tighter than heck now. I wonder if they stripped my oil pan :(
Hopefully, everything will turn out ok...

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
me too, thanks for the kind words... I'll keep ya posted. I'll be at the dealer doors tomorow at 8am.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
let us know-michael

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just changed mine, but I put on a Napa one, do I need to worry? I have been reading that some people found that it covers the holes or something.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
No worries with the NAPA filter.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
DEWFPO;1572875; said:
No worries with the NAPA filter.

DEWFPO
Exactly--I run Wix/Napa Gold from Bryan At Fleetfilter,a vendor here--won't find better pricing.If you were to look closely,you would see that the holes are angled down with 2 more holes than a Delco/Ally filter.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
** Update **Well i took it to the dealer today. Thankfully the dealer i goto has no horror stories i have heard from the poor other people on this board.
They pulled it in, apologized, switched the drain plug and gasket and it's fixed.
they put the magnet back on the filter they said (I talked to the guy that did the filter on tranny) and he remembers doing tons of them and knows better he stated. LOL

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Jason, a lot of members also feel relieved about the fix too.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Thanks ZL! :)
On a side note: How do you like your tekonsha? I took my truck to get the gooseneck and a brake controller installed a few months ago. I asked for the tekonsha and they put in a 'regular' one. (It works, but, i just cant seem to adjust it to get it smooth). They apologized profusely and sent me on my way; I keep wanting to upgrade but now i have one that works....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jason,
You might want to consider a "Fumoto" oil valve. Merchant (supporting vendor) has them. Once you install it, all you do is flip a lever and the oil drains. Make sure you get the one with a nipple and you can slip a hose over it. These work fantastic, you don't have to remove the drain plug anymore, the oil won't make a mess under the skid pan, and if you use synthetic and need a sample....it's a two minute job.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jasondt2001;1573517; said:
** Update **Well i took it to the dealer today. They pulled it in, apologized, switched the drain plug and gasket and it's fixed. they put the magnet back on the filter they said (I talked to the guy that did the filter on tranny) and he remembers doing tons of them and knows better he stated. LOL
Where is this magnet at? I am afraid the clown that changed my spin on filter last time did not see or put this magnet back on.....I hate that about doing my own work. No one else to chew on...:mad:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
msheriff;1578304; said:
Where is this magnet at? I am afraid the clown that changed my spin on filter last time did not see or put this magnet back on.....I hate that about doing my own work. No one else to chew on...:mad:
The magnet sits on top of the filter. It is round and re-useable and traps minute metal particles. Get a xtra one and have it ready with the oem Allison filter for the next filter change, put some fluid in the filter before re-install...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Jasondt2001;1575809; said:
Thanks ZL! :)
On a side note: How do you like your tekonsha? I took my truck to get the gooseneck and a brake controller installed a few months ago. I asked for the tekonsha and they put in a 'regular' one. (It works, but, i just cant seem to adjust it to get it smooth). They apologized profusely and sent me on my way; I keep wanting to upgrade but now i have one that works....
It works good for me and other members, it seems to do what it is suppose to do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ZL-1;1578496; said:
The magnet sits on top of the filter. It is round and re-useable and traps minute metal particles. Get a xtra one and have it ready with the oem Allison filter for the next filter change, put some fluid in the filter before re-install...
Wonderful, just looked and no magnet. Will contact Eric to see if I can get one. Besides the Allison filter that is ready to put on I have a new internal filter and some bracket that is highly recommanded that holds the filter in place. I do NOT have a pan gasket and wondering if I will need one? Hoping that since this is the first time the pan is dropped the current one, (rubber I think) will be OK. Anyone done this without replacing the gasket or am I asking for problems?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts