Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 5 gallon tank in back that tipped and spilt a little diesel. Thought I got it all wiped up, but now there is this sticky residue in the bed. I dont have a linex yet, and that is why I want to be careful in what I use to remove the residue. (already tried soap and water.) Any ideas?Thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd say mineral spirits or acetone. Wipe it on, don't pour it on and follow with a dry rag and then soap/water wash.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
try kerosene.

Jim

·
Registered
646 Posts
I tried cleaning up dried castor oil with degreaser once. Since I didn't want that cleanup to be a second career, I used acetone thereafter. Something petroleum based will probably be required. If the spot isn't too thick and gummy, WD-40 would probably work too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
jholly said:
try kerosene.

Jim

Wouldn't this be just like putting more diesel on?

I think you should call the place where you are going to have the work done and see what they say. More than likely you are going to have to use some type of degreaser that does NOT leave a residue. I think anythiny petroleum based, like WD-40, should NOT be used. JMHOEdited by: Mr. Mister

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Get gas deisel or 2 stroke spilled in my truck all most dailly. Soak it up with cat littler and wash it normal car was solution.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'll try the simple green first, and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Los Lobos said:
Dawn dishwashing detergent and a scrub brush.

Good call on the Dawn
, mix it up about double what you would use for dishes, (may have to get the gals to help you here
) let is set for a couple minutes and lightly scrub. Dawn will pull the wax off the paint so be careful.

Simple Green or Purple Power will do well also.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WD-40

·
Banned
394 Posts
superclean.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts