Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got hit with the famous speedometer reading 50mph at a stop, pegged on the highway problem. GM offering no assistance, and the $tealer wanting about $530 out the door and four days of holding my truck...
Found a place called Advanced Auto Electronics, Inc that rebuilds the cluster. For all I know, they are probably the ones all the dealers send to, to rebuild these clusters. Anyway, they send you a rebuilt cluster programmed with your miles and hours, as well as DIC capability if needed for $225 shipped to my door!! This also includes a pre paid shipping label so you can put your old cluster back in the box, put the new shipping label on and drop it off at a UPS store. This is nearly half the cost of the dealer, can be done in 10 minutes, and no downtime.

I talked with them on the phone for a bit yesterday afternoon and they knew all about the motor problem on the speedo needle. He stated the 05's and up are using the new motors... So, if GM does issue a recall down the road, at least I am only out $225 instead of $530 until I get reimbursed.

I just wanted to pass this information on, and will update you next week when it comes in...
Their website is:
http://www.aaellc.com/

Bob

·
Registered
681 Posts
US Speedo is the only other company I know of that deals with full cluster replacements, aside from a couple fly-by-night looking outfits on eBay. Advanced Auto has got their price beat by about a hundred bucks, plus you'd have to pay $75 extra to US Speedo to get your miles and hours programmed.

Good deal -- thanks for posting 4x4man.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You can just buy a whole new cluster for 350 and keep your old one. I would spend the extra 125 and then you can get a caddy cluster, or white face gauges and stuff like that. It is not a face plate it is the whole thing just pull out the old one and install the new one and go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me this weekend, now its back to normal after 4 days. I started a thread in electronics to see if there was a fix. I have the edge attitude, so im not to worried about the speed, but it sure would be nice to not have electrical problems at 70k.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have read, if you can set your cruise and have it hold the speed, then the cluster is bad. I have the attitude as well, but looking at this little box for speed all the way to vegas and back over the weekend sure sucked...But thankfully I had it. Mine is now holding at about 20mph from the 50mph it was at. Seems to be the warmer the temp gets, the lower the speed needle will go. It gave me problems early last week, but then started working normally for a day or two, then it pegged. Don't want to be the party pooper, but yours may do the same thing.... :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
i agree with you. im pretty much planning on that happening. My seat heaters are also acting up, they dont want to stay on and less than a month ago one of the rear speakers blew on the bose system. Just not a good electronics winter for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did the swap eith Advance on my old tahoe. The cluster they sent was identical to my old one. It was plug and play. It looked and functioned like a new one. If I ever have that problem again I would not hesitate to use them. I sold Tahoe to my friend and it is still going strong. (at least 2 years)
YMMV
Justin

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As promissed, and update:
I received the cluster today. All wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it protected. Looks brand new, you could fool me that it is a used one...awesome, just awesome. Also included was the promissed return shipping label. Installed the new cluster, in probably about 15-20 minutes or so. Mileage, hours, DIC controls were all programmed and everything worked like a champ!! Big koodos go out to AAE for saving me $300. These guys were great to deal with!
Bob

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good to know -- thanks for reporting back for us. I went and looked at their forms on the site and was left wondering if they would make you send in the defective cluster before sending out your replacement. Glad that's not the case. I'll be giving these folks a call after I talk to my dealer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
What happens when you put a Caddy cluster in a DMAX? The tach has different RPM layouts. If it works, I want one!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
4x4man,

Thanks for the info on this. :thankyou2

I spoke to Justin and he is hooking me up with a revised cluster. I will let you all know how it all works out, but so far it has been just as 4x4man stated.

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts