Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 2004.5 duramax. Yesterday, the speedo quit working, it is now stuck at 30mph. Everything else seems to work fine. What went wrong? Is it an easy fix, or am I in for a HUGE bill. the truck has 49000 miles on it. Im not afrade of getting my hands dirty, but I don't even know where to start.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Dfence

·
Registered
407 Posts
Both my brother and my dad have had the same issues. They were both 04's and I think the problem can happen with any kind of chevy. There is a problem with the dash cluster and I think there is a TSB out for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any more help??

Thanks for your response. Does anyone have a picture of this taken apart, or mabey some instructions. That would make me much more comfortable digging into it.

Thanks
Dfence

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i had mine get stuck straight down the other day. then after that it was very jumpy. seems to be a little off now though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The stepper motor in the instrument cluster assembly tends to go in these things. Mine just got replaced. Some dealers just try to reprogram the speedo. Best bet, if covered under your warranty, get a new instrument cluster. It's a known problem!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a stepper motor online today. I guess I'm going to learn how to do this repair this weekend. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Just for the he## of it I called the local stealership, They said its $500.00 to fix this.. What a crook.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dfence;1592619; said:
Hello, Im new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 2004.5 duramax. Yesterday, the speedo quit working, it is now stuck at 30mph. Everything else seems to work fine. What went wrong? Is it an easy fix, or am I in for a HUGE bill. the truck has 49000 miles on it. Im not afrade of getting my hands dirty, but I don't even know where to start.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
Dfence
As I too found out, this is a very common problem with most chevrolets from 99 on. If yours is out of warranty, this is what I did. I found this site on E-Bay and even thought the auction is out of date, the process remains the same and the directions for removal are at the bottom of the page. This guy gives super fast service. I chose the $170 option and had all the step motors replace and it's warrantied for 1 year. I mailed this USPS from Washington State to Connecticut on a Monday and it was back at my house on Saturday. It takes a 7mm socket and maybe 10 minutes to remove the cluster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/03-04-SILVERADO-INSTRUMENT-PANEL-CLUSTER-REPAIR-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ330060367358QQihZ014QQcategoryZ47121QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Mine did it once,turned switch off an on about 20 times and it's been fine since.Maybe disconnect batteries for a while and see if it'll reset.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
66flh;1596181; said:
Mine did it once,turned switch off an on about 20 times and it's been fine since.Maybe disconnect batteries for a while and see if it'll reset.
Thats not the problem....its a parts problem. The stepper motors are the culprit.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
TheBac;1596191; said:
Thats not the problem....its a parts problem. The stepper motors are the culprit.
Apparently not on mine it wasn't.Anyways,Couldn't hurt to try!Gremlins are everywhere!:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts